1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nashville bass legend Jackie Street dies at 48

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by StreamerDavid, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Here's the proper news article from the Tennessean.

Nashville bass legend Jackie Street dies at 48

By PETER COOPER
    Staff Writer

Print this page E-mail this article
    Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine WhatÂ’s this?
    Jackie Street, one of Nashville's preeminent bass players, died Sunday at age 48 due to complications from diabetes.

A touring and recording musician, Mr. Street played on hundreds of albums for artists including Little Big Town, Natalie Grant, Michael W. Smith, Marshall Chapman and Jaci Velasquez. On Tuesday, as word spread of his passing, friends smiled in remembering his formidable musical ability. And then they wept over the loss of the man.

When a musician dies and people speak of his "gifts," they're normally talking about talent. In Mr. Street's case, his two decades as a top session player says plenty about his talent.

But conversation about his gifts was about � well, gifts. Mr. Street presented needy friends with money, embattled friends with unwavering support and every other friend with welcome attention.

"The phone won't ring as much," said Marshall Chapman, whose Love Slaves rock band featured Mr. Street on bass. "Jackie always checked in. Jackie Street was more than a bass player. He embodied love and compassion. As for friendship, Jackie raised the bar for all of us."

Other musicians began talking about Mr. Street by saying, "He was a great musician, but �" and then the stories would flow.

"Street was a fierce musician, but more than that he had this kind and gentle way about him," said Little Big Town's Karen Fairchild.

Top musician, great friend

Grant remembered Mr. Street's kindness, and his uniform of shorts, gym socks pulled to the knees and clean, white tennis shoes. Others talked of the way he would turn a local establishment � the now-defunct Cooker on West End Avenue, or, more recently, Blackstone's Brewery � into his "office."

"That sweet man was one of the best bass players this town has ever seen," Grant said.

Mr. Street's versatility was such that he was at home playing Christian pop ballads with Grant or Velasquez, roots rock with Chapman, contemporary country with Little Big Town or funk with The Dynamites (his final show was Feb. 12 with the latter band).

Dave Pomeroy, himself among Nashville's most renowned players, said simply, "Jackie played what we all wanted to play."

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Mr. Street's hometown of Macon, Ga. A Nashville memorial is in the planning stages.

2. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I saw Jackie play on several occasions, the first time that I recall was back in the 80s. He was playing bass on the Medals tour with Russ Taff.
    The last time I saw him was at a community fund raiser, just about a year ago.

I have nothing but respect for him as a player. Based on what I've read, Jackie was an awesome individual as well.

R.I.P.

3. joetowers

joetowers

May 11, 2011
    This was Jackie touring with The Imperials back in 1985 @ Mayaguez, Puerto Rico from the Let The Wind Blow Tour!!! He will be missed!:bassist:

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Wow. We should all aspire to be remembered with such high regard. And not just as musicians -- or by them.

RIP, good sir.

5. joetowers

joetowers

May 11, 2011
    [​IMG] This is the photo !!!!:bassist: