Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nashville bassists, I need some help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by matrok, Feb 28, 2005.

1. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Thinking about relocating the family to Nashville and planning a visit in April. Anyone care to meet up and talk about where to look for a house or recommend a real estate agent who might have some time to talk?

2. When I first read that I thought it said "Nashville Breasts, I need help".......
    I'm obsessed lately :D

3. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    You are obsessed. Understandable though. :)

4. Andy Beasley, owner of brentview realty, is a highly recommended real estate agent in the middle tn area (my family has done buisness with him the the past) He's a real nice guy and has tons of houses listed. I have no clue what your price range is ,but if you have the money I would check out the brentwood and westend area. Williamson County has a good public school system.

5. if you want to live in town, I would recommend Green Hills, but you could probably get cheaper outside the city. As I remember, traffic isn't real bad in NashVegas.

6. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Thanks for the recommendations. Not sure yet, but I think we'll want to be in the city. I've found some other possible contacts to get started.

7. the only problem about green hills is that the traffic is terrible. good luck with your search!

8. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Traffic is subjective. We did visit there years ago and thought the "rush hour" was amazingly light compared to here in Detroit, and nothing like what I saw when I spent a week in L.A.

We like an area that is culturally and ethnically diverse, so that's probably more in the city than out.

9. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    classic rocker, do you have any contact info on that realtor?

10. i sure do, pm on it's way

11. "Traffic isn't bad in Nashville"....that might've been true a decade ago, but now it's pretty bad. At least my commute is...

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When we first moved to Nashville in 1997 Cool Springs and Franklin were quaint suburbs of NV. The last year we lived there in 2002, Cool Springs had grown into gridlock city, expecially on weekends. In just five years, Franklin and Cool Springs had grown so much, it was hard to even imagine. Add neighboring Brentwood to that.

Our last year in NV, it seemed as if every bucolic cattle pasture was being bull dozed for new developments, plus housing prices were on fire.

One little country town I loved is Nolensville, south of NV on Nolensville Road. Though it was growing, it wasn't exploding and still had that country charm.

The poster above who said that Williamson county has good schools is certainly correct. Davidson Cty, which is Nashville has some pockets that aren't quite as desirable.

Though you may which to live in "town", town is pretty big covering a very considerable area. If you mean right downtown, say near Vanderbilt University or the Green Hills area, housing may cost a LOT more than if you live further from NV, in one of the quaint suburbs.

Many people who work in Nashville live Southeast of the city in Murfreesboro. That's quite a long drive in my opinion, but the houses sell at more favorable prices than in NV.

We loved Nashville. The winters are quite mild, snowfall is infrequent and doesn't stay long on the ground. Spring and fall are gorgeous. I hated to leave. Go Titans!

13. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Thanks. I have a friend who just moved to Franklin, which definintely sounds too pricey for us and too busy. I remember looking Southeast when we were there a few years ago, can't remember the name of the town now, started with an "A" I believe. I'm starting to pull in a few contacts now, hopefully we'll get a really good feel for things.

14. Antioch is on the south side, maybe that's what you're recollecting.

Really, anything on the south side--Lavergne, Brentwood, Franklin, Murfreesboro, etc....is getting awfully expensive. The only decent prices IMHO are on the north (Hendersonville or Gallatin) or on the east (Mt. Juliet or Lebanon). I don't know much about the west side but I think it's getting pricey too.

15. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    You're right, it was Antioch. I also remember someone mentioning that Hendersonville was a good choice. We'll see soon enough.

Boplicity, what made you move?

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My husband retired, so we returned to Florida where most of our family live and to look after my aging mother. It was tough to leave the Nashville area. We lived in Bradford Hills just off Nolensville Road. Houses had good prices then, but I'm not sure where they stand now.

That was a very pleasant neighborhood, though. Our house had a wonderful view. We lived beside a pro drummer there. There's a whole new development on the other side of Nolensville Road. We watched them start to build it.

Anyway, Smyrna and Laverne on I-24 are small towns not too far from Antioch and Hickory Hollow that had prices even more economical than Bradford Hills. Again, I'm not sure what you can get now.

I knew a pro bass player who lived in Galletin. That seems like a long, long drive to me, but, of course, it all depends on where you will be working. Lebanon was pretty nice too--on I-40.

There is a lot of choice, but prices are soaring, though nowhere nearly as much as in South Florida. Plus we were hit with two 'canes in September in our area.