1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nashville flood and concern for Nashville TBDB members

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, May 8, 2010.

1. I called ex-Nashville drummer Jim White for some up coming dates with me. He was working with Alison Krauss down there when the flood hit.
    He told me TBer Ike Harris lost his home. I dropped Ike a PM here and contacted him through his Facebook. Apparently he was in Canada when the flood hit.
    That's all I have for now but I'll let you all know if and when I hear more.
    Oh, Jim said Barry Bales came through okay.

2. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    So sorry to read this news. My prayers and best wishes for you Ike.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Likewise, thoughts and prayers to Ike and the family. We had a flood here last summer that narrowly missed our house but devastated a lot of the surrounding areas. It wasn't a pretty sight. :(

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Lousy news, so sorry, Ike.

5. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    Sorry to hear this...

6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    We just had a run in with some high water a month ago here...crazy weather lately.

Ike, I feel for your losses and the pita this will be for you, but I am glad you are well. PM sent.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Geez, Ike. My thoughts are with you and your family. Anything we can do?

8. As long as Ike and his family are okay, everything else can be repaired or replaced, thank God.

John

9. Sorry to hear about this Ike.

My mother-in-law's home was wiped out by one of the tornadoes that hit TN last Sunday morning. My sister-in-law's home as well as the homes of several close friends were heavily damaged or destroyed. One week ago today, all those folks had a lot of things that were prized possessions. Now those things have been burned, buried, or tossed into a dumpster. One friend summed it up pretty well. He, his family and his parents took shelter in his basement about 5 minutes before the rest of the house was literally blown away. After the tornado passed, he looked up into the sky and told his dad "Well, everything that is really important to me is right here in this basement." Everyone I know affected by these storms says the same thing.

It puts a lot of things in perspective.

10. BCAlbin

BCAlbin

Dec 7, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I don't know whether he would want me to say anything or not, but...

I was just informed yesterday by a mutual friend that stellar Nashville double bassist and fellow TBDB member, Ike Harris, lost all four of his double basses in the recent, catastrophic flooding here in Nashville. He and his family lost A LOT more than that but hearing of the loss of his instruments just particularly hits home with us around here. Hide glue and water aren't a good combination and, as I understand it, many of his instruments are now in pieces. I don't know which, if any, of his instruments might be restorable. I ask that everyone here please keep him in your thoughts and/or prayers. I would also encourage anyone who can afford it to possibly make a small (or large) donation to the Nashville flood relief efforts or, if you are an AFM member, I believe the union has set up a flood relief program, the proceeds of which go directly to impacted musicians like Ike. Thanks so much...

-BCAlbin

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    A friend just forwarded pics of a massive amount of equipment belonging to Brad Paisley that was ruined by the flood.

12. BCAlbin

BCAlbin

Dec 7, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Two of the musicians I'm on tour with this week had gear stored in lockers at Soundcheck, (where Paisley's gear was) and haven't even been home yet to see the damage to their stuff first-hand. The flooding here has been horribly devastating to many, but also particularly so to many musicians who had their gear stored at Soundcheck which is situated right on the banks of the Cumberland River. The pictures I've seen so far of instruments and gear coming out of there are pretty sobering.

-BCA

13. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Ike,

Hope you and your family are all safe and that you can rebuild. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Brian

14. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Ike,

So sorry to hear this news. I hope it's some comfort to know that you're in our thoughts. May things go as smoothly as possible for you.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Lots of damage in Nashville to peoples homes, belongings, instruments, and history.

Very unfortunate. :(

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    There's been an Ike Harris thread going here. I'll ask the mods to link 'em. :)

17. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    Ike…if you need something let me know. We have more then enough to share. I would be glad to loan you anything I have to get you up and playing again.

You have my most sincere heart felt sympathy for you and all the others in Nashville that have lost so much. I’ll be seeing Barry Bales next Sunday…if you need a bass we can slip one onto the AKUS bus for a safe ride back to Nashville.

My bass is your bass. :)

18. BCAlbin

BCAlbin

Dec 7, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for the head's up, drurb. I hadn't seen the other thread, sorry about the redundancy.

-BCA

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Threads merged. Ditto to what Marcus asked.

20. Ike:
    I wish you and your family the best in overcoming your losses.

A musical benefit organized by fiddler Randy Morrison is being held here in Ontario (the Brighton arena west of Trenton) on June 12th to help the Nashville musicians who have lost their instruments and belongings.
    I will be part of it along with dozens of other musicians so I hope we are able to be of some assistance to you, directly or indirectly.
    Randy was just down in Nashville and has many musician friends who have been affected by the flooding.

And Molly Kay...that is a wonderful offer you have made to Ike.