1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nashville Flood

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by LouisF, May 5, 2010.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I understand that the flooding in Nashville has damaged the symphony hall, and several storage and cartage companies. And that several players have lost basses. Does anyone have any more info?

Anything we can do to help?

louis

2. I was there. We had to evacuate Sunday morning.

3. Thanks for asking, Louis. It's a mess around here. Lots of people have lost everything, with no flood insurance, then other areas were hardly affected at all. This blog has some good info on the flood and how to help:
    http://nashvillest.com/2010/05/03/so-nashville-is-flooded-how-can-i-help/

Monday afternoon I walked down to lower Broadway where the Cumberland River meets downtown, across the river from LP field where the Titans play and where most of the downtown flooding has occurred. I got chills as I approached Tootsie's and the other bars down there and heard the live music playing just a block or two away from other businesses that were completely devastated. We may be down, but the music and spirit of Nashville is alive and well.

4. We stayed at the Knight's Inn on Spring St which is catty-corner to LP Field. It was nuts. The water was coming up the stairs. Our singer went to get our stage manager, which should have taken 10 minutes. 45 minutes later he wasn't back. Finally he pulled in and we had to get through about 8 inches of water in the parking lot. Just as I got on Hwy 24, I saw cars competely submerged with people on the roofs of their cars. We played at Tootsies in the afternoon, and the tornado siren went off at least 3 times that I can recall. We played at the Cadilliac Ranch that Saturday Night, now it's all messed up. Totally weird man how damn fast that water came up.

5. hitch

hitch

Apr 29, 2006
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'addario
    The Grand Ole Opry House

grand-ole-opry-320.

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was visiting professor at Austin Peay for a while (in Clarksville), so have a lot of good friends in the area (including one who's expecting a baby this week!) it's really awful. Let me know what we can do.

Louis

7. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY

Is this where you were staying?

[​IMG]

8. That's were I was. Man, when we bailed there was only like 6-8 inches of water. But that was a 3 floor hotel.

9. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I was reading on Soundcheck's blog about the flood. That's where the pic above came from. For those who don't know, Soundcheck is a rehearsal and storage facility for many major touring acts out of Nashville. Below is a pic of it flooded. Many artists lost lots of touring gear.
    That is a lot of water.

[​IMG]

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I sure would like to hear how the rest of the Nashville TB DB crew is doing. That looks really bad. :(

11. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    I heard Keith Urban on the Nashville news this week talking about how a bunch of his gear got trashed. I'm south of Nashville and we had some flooding but thankfully all of my gear is fine. There are a lot of people in a bad way right now, I would suggest donating to the Red Cross if you want to help. I'm really dissapointed that there hasn't been more national news coverage although there has been some. It's pretty rough all over Middle Tennessee right now.

12. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I agree that the media has not really showed the true scale of it. I'm just down in Chattanooga and we have heard very little about it. I get more info from my Nashville Facebook friends than from the news.

13. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    here's another thread about it:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653897

My session cartage was flooded at Soundcheck. More than half my stuff was in there... Several Laklands, 2 Les Paul Signatures, Jerry Jones longhorn and tic-tac, Kay Howlin Wolf, Harmony H-22, plus recording gear and several amps.

cartage company pics:
    http://soundchecknashville.com/wordpress/

i'll know a lot more in a day or two after I can get down there, but i'm expecting a very gory scene

slideshows--just staggering--give these a look:
    http://www.wsmv.com/weather/23429788/detail.html

pretty bad stuff----there are dozens of neighborhoods underwater, businesses and homes destroyed, and thousands homeless....

14. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    That my friends is an 8ft chain-link fence.

15. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    That really sucks. Keep us updated on what you find out.

16. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I feel for you guys, for sure.

We had the floods here back in late March. My basement got damaged
    and the septic system failed.

The Pawtuxet River near work went 12 feet over its banks. FEMA set up
    tents and the claims were on.

Here's a recap.

I had to rip out 900 sq. feet of carpeting, pad, and substrate
    (particle board). I still have to figure out what to replace it all
    with, painted concrete and tile has been suggested. I will be
    surprised if the damages can be repaired for less that 10k.

You can start a claim on the FEMA website. They sent an
    inspector within a week and a second inspector the following
    week. That was on a Thursday. A check arrived that
    Saturday for approximately 1300 dollars. It's about 10%
    of the bill but I will take it.

FEMA loans are obtainable through SBA. There are some
    caveats. If you have 'No Available Credit Elsewhere' your loan
    is at 2.68% for 30 years. If you have 'Credit Available Elsewhere'
    the loan is basically a fixed mortgage, 5.24% for
    30 years. (I'm 58, so that is not an option).

And, my insurance company repudiated any claims for
    groundwater damage, flood damage etc. Basically, my flooding
    was caused by hydrostatic pressure from a very high water
    table, not river flooding, but it was the same rain event. But
    they said 'you are on your own'. To add insult to injury, my
    broker noted 'the insurance company wins again' and later
    said he had felt bad about telling this to the first few people
    who called, but he didn't feel bad about it anymore.

Needless to say, after I get myself squared away, he will be
    made redundant.

Business owners here locally experienced about the same level of
    help, a guy I know had half a million in inventory
    damaged, he got 50k and a possibility to borrow from SBA
    for the balance.

So basically, I will be out of pocket 11,500 bucks from this
    rainstorm.

I fixed the septic issues myself, but I don't expect repairs to
    be complete before the end of the summer.

Anyway, I didn't lose my gear, but I have had to put it in
    storage with a friend for now. Hope the FEMA info helps and
    best of luck with the recovery process.

17. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Freaking insurance companies! There was a guy on the local news last night that had just bought his house, was told he didn't need and couldn't buy flood insurance at a reasonable rate, still bought it, paid a premium price for it, and when his house flooded the insurance company told him that it takes 30 days for the policy to become active. He was 8 days away when the flood came. I'm not saying that all insurance companies are evil or anything but &%*#!

18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    OMG.

My best to all TBers affected by this.

19. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    A friend sent me this. This picture was taken on a highway about an hour south of Nashville. It's amazing what water can do.

Attached Files:

20. I called the great drummer Jim White who's living here now for some upcoming dates with me.
    He was in Nashville when the flood hit doing some dates with Alison Krauss. His home there is okay and he said Barry Bales is cool but that our Ike Harris isn't so fortunate. Lost his home with a Steinway piano, etc.
    I'll PM IKE and message him on Facebook and hope for the best for him.......