Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nashville NAMM show - who's going?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by john turner, Jun 6, 2001.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i am! :D bill conklin will be having his own booth again this year after a couple of years showing with westhiemer. he's told me that both of my basses that are on order - the hollow body 7 and the 8 string fretted (to match my 8 string fretless) will be finished in time for the show, so i will be picking them up there. i will also be bringing quite a few - maybe all :eek: of my custom conklins to the show, so be sure to come by the booth.

who else is going to be there?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Can an "outsider" get in? I mean I don't work in the music business anymore. I'd love to go, but I don't know if I could even get in the door.

Also, please tell me WHEN it is and in what building...the Convention Center, Gaylord Arena or Opryland Hotel or where?

I've always dreamed of going to NAAM. I've read so much about it and it would be a tremendous thrill.

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's only for namm members or buyers (like music stores) - it's not open to the public.

it's going to be at the convention center.

4. Boplicity

That's what I thought...that one had to be an "insider." What if I went to Mars Music and cozied up to them or something? Do you think I could get a pass or is it truly harder than getting invited to the White House?

I don't suppose it cuts any ice that I moderate a folder at TalkBass.Com. (Just kidding.) I've dreamed of going for years. Oh well, if I can't, I can't and that is that.

5. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    How would one become a NAMM member ?

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    paying dues and being in the business of music instrument manufacture or distribution, or owning or at least working at a music store.

also, artists are often invited by manufacturers to demo products and such.

check out www.namm.com

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i get to go because bill conklin wants to show my basses :D . it would've probably been cheaper for me to get invited to the white house.

try contacting namm, though, and say you're with the online music press- you might be able to get a badge, but it will probably cost some money - like $150.

8. Boplicity

Thanks, John. I checked the NAMM web site. They have a phone number to call about membership and about getting a non-member "badge" for the Nashville show. I'll call in the morning and be really nice and sound businesslike. Maybe with my older voice, often mistaken for a man's over the phone, they will think I am not just a "groupy" and offer me something, a pass or whatever. When I know what it costs , I'll post here for the benefit of others who are interested.

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    JT, didn't we discuss something about you needing a cartage contractor?

I have a big trailer..... :)

10. Hmmm...does this mean that if I get a job at Tom Lee's and become one of their (very) few employees that actually KNOWS what they're doing and talking about, I have a chance of being able to go some time?
    :D
    Heck, I could be their fluent-in-english correspondant! No more having to deal with the canto-english speakers! Talk to me, instead! :D:p

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ain't it the truth, though. going to nashvegas isn't too taxing - i have enough double gig bags that the only case i need to take is the doubleneck case.

but GEEZE going to la is a pain in my a$$. the only thing that is cool about it is seeing the look on the security guard's face as my doubleneck passes through the x-ray machine. :D

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ARGH!!!!!

As one of the numerous perks I get being a part-timer at Bass Central, I've got all the cred's and passes to get into the NAMM show. Unfortunately, I've also got a gig in LA with Tito Jr that weekend!

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

....sigh......c'est la vie......

13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Well, Gard...I'd take your weekend over a NAMM show anytime. Tito Jr.! Don't ask ME for any sympathy, buddy!

14. Boplicity

The Nashville NAMM hits the very same weekend Sheehan, Hamm and whoever else are playing in the G3 concert at Sunrise Amphitheater in Fort Lauderdale. Talk about feeling like Stretch Armstrong.

15. Boplicity

Gard, I just saw Tito Puente Jr on the ALMA awards show. It s breathtaking how much he looks like his father. I mean talk about "spitting image," he is the personification of that. Enjoy and tell us how it goes.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, all those guys are going to probably be at the show one of the nights - they almost always are.

17. I have a friend who is going for free because of some scholarship he has for some big music university in san fransisco. We're working on getting me a pass to go also.

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Mike -

I'm not looking for sympathy, trust me!!! :D I'm just complaining that I can't be in BOTH places at once...heh....lessee.....Universal Amphitheatre in LA or NAMM in Nashburg.....hmmm..... ;o)

JO -

Yeah, it's pretty scary sometimes, I look up onstage and see a young Tito Sr for a second, especially when he grabs a pair of timbale sticks and starts to play. Just like his dad!!! Elbows high, the whole thing....I always pinch myself for a second before I go on, I'm REALLY doing shows with HIS son...wow...

On a side note, we played before Los Van Van this past weekend in San Francisco. Oh man, am I glad we didn't have to follow THAT!!! :eek: Amazing band, check 'em out if you're into the Latin/Afro-Cuban stuff and haven't yet. I need to go practice my tumbaos now...