Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nashville numbers?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pauljacksonfan, Aug 23, 2005.

1. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    I've recently read a lot pf players who use the nashville number system. Could any of you kind folks show me how it's done, 'cause I haven't a clue. I am already fluent in standard notation but the number system intrigues me cause it's not too big in my corner of the world.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is simply a numerical reference to the chord progression in terms of intervals.

You probably already know it. You just don't know you know it. For example D is the fifth in the key of G. In Nashville, they call it the "5."

A simple country progression might be 1,4,1,5. This allows the players to play in any key without recharting. If Loretta walks in and can't sing it in C, they just play in A.

3. The church i used to play with has another congergation rent the space in the afternoons aon sundays and one day we had a joint service. They played their tunes, we played ours. we were more of a contemporary church with our music while they wer emore gospel i'd say. anyways after service there was their keys player, drummer bassist and i)bassist.) they were jamming and he kept yelling out numbers and i couldn;t figure it out untill it was over. I just thought id share that story, but yeah the person above me hit it spot on.

4. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    thanks guys, it was just what I suspected it to be. after all, anyone who's ever ventured into jazz territory is familiar with the II-V-I or rather 2-5-1 progression and I reckon this number dealy works just like that. thanks for the clarification