Nashville pattern book ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by George Looney, Jul 11, 2002.

1. I recently came across this website selling a book called "The Nasville Pattern".
    They claim you can easily learn every scale played anywhere on the neck with one pattern.
    I'm a bit sceptical about this, sounds too good to be true ... or am I just being paranoid again ?
    Does anybody here have any experience with it, is it really as good as they say ?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What's so new about that?

On a bass a scale pattern is always the same, C major has the same fingering pattern as D major etc.

Better get a good theory book.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've read the links provided and I am having trouble with the "any scale" part of the pattern. For example, pentatonic scales and blues scales don't have the same pattern as major scales. I'm also not sure how the same pattern can apply to modes. But I am curious.

I'd love to get a look at the book and see what is being proffered as something new. I hope this isn't just some gimmick to get the unwary to shell out fifteen bucks. Maybe the guy does have a new pattern system, but it could be even harder to figure out the new method than to learn standard patterns currently in use.

If anybody buys the book, please let us know what it says.
  4. I Know that JMX, but they say you can play ALL scales and modes with ONE pattern.
    And just like Boplicity I'm having a hard time believing it ... and curious as well.
    Anyway, I'd love to hear from someone who has the book ...
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, I'm intrigued too, that "review" just looks like a rewritten version of some promo text.

Check out Gary Willis' Fingerboard Harmony For Bass book, he has some really good concepts going for getting to know the fretboard and what fingerings/positions to use. He's really a guy who knows what he's talking about.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have the Willis book and highly recommend it. In fact, I just moved and was horrified to discover that the packers just threw that book in with a bunch of stuff and when I pulled it out of the box, the CD was broken in half. I don't know if I can just order a new CD or if I must buy the whole book/CD set again. Yuck!