Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nashville TBers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Who on talkbass is located in the Nashville area? How do you like living there? Tell me about the music scene for bassists. What do you do other than music (if any) for a living?
    Thanks
    G

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm interested, too. The wife has a really good chance at a new big $$$ position in suburban Nashville, and we're thinking about making the move. What's it like down there?

3. I'm thinking of moving there with my wife. I'm visiting the area next weekend (aug 8-12)
    Give me the negatives of living there.

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What's the weather like in a typical year? And what are the housing prices like?

5. SquattingDog

SquattingDog

Oct 8, 2001
    Tennessee
    During the summer, it is either hot and humid or it's raining. It's rarely in the middle. We've had mild winters for the past few years. Last year around Christmas, I think the temperature was somewhere between 50-60 degrees. We haven't really had a bad winter since that ice storm we had around 10 years ago.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Her company is in Gallatin - what's it like up there?

We'd be looking for a pretty typical newer home - a 3BR ranch with full basement on a larger lot - not ten feet from the neighbors. It's gotta be cheaper than the Chicago area! Up here, what we're looking for is in the $250K range.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks, AB! I appreciate the effort.

General, I'll be real interested in hearing your impressions after your visit...

8. AcousticBass,
    Apparently you are the only bassist in Nashville. You must be getting tons of calls for session and live work. :D What is the availability of jazz, funk, reggae, rock and other non-country gigs in the area? Also, I've heard Nashville is flooded with musicians. As a busy bassist in my area, is it foolish to think I could be just as busy or more in Nashville? What is the competition like?

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Stingrayguy is on this board, he's from Nashville. I'm 4 hours away in Memphis.

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    go to cnn.com . the have a cost of living generator and you will see how much farther your money will go here. plus go see jd at corner music. that guy is t\like the moses of the bass world. it's a great city to live in and gallatin is really nice. cons to gallatin..... dont ever expect to get anywhere fast on 65. construction there constantly.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    first off dont plan on gettin paid. too many studio cats will play for free. the scene is excellent for someone who has a day job. there is no musical prejudice here. competition? dave pomeroy, vic and reggie wooten, keith horne, me acoustic bass, but there really is no competition. if you are willing to tour there are all kinds of auditions but you might wanna start playin country if you do that.

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sorry - I must have missed this post. Sure, I'll take her info! Thanks!

13. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    HEY take him to Murfessboro for a BIG FAT MO's Burger! That place rocks... My sister lives up there... She moved to Nashville... met Barry Booker... got married and the rest is history... she likes it... never gonna come back to home.. I don't blame her... Nashville is cool... I thought about moving there...

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    m'boro is where i live. and fat mo's rocks.

15. Well, after 5 days in Nashville I was pretty pleased. I was even able to sneak in a session one afternoon. That city has no traffic compared to the Colorado front range. One fun gig I went to see was up in Leipers Fork and Larry Carlton played in the corner of an antique shop to about 15 people with a great lineup of musicians. Met the guy--very down to earth as most of the high profile players I have met have been. As far as the music scene, the opportunities there are different than in Colorado. Nashville does not seem to be a place to pursue playing bar gigs, and that is why I would go there. Opportunities exist to play with serious players who are moving forward and doing something instead of pounding every smokey bar in town for a few bucks. Lots of opportunities for singer/songwriters.