1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nashville?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by JGGBassPlya, May 8, 2006.

1. Any word on last weekends events?

2. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    I thought the audition started yesterday...was there a round last week as well?

3. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I was under the impression that it started this morning (Monday).

4. Ben Joella

Ben Joella Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    c'mon...inquiring minds want to know. Who won who won who won? :bassist:

5. Kristen Bruya won!!!

6. According to her profile on the Rice webpage, she holds a BA from the University of Michigan, an Artist's Diploma from the Cincinatti Conservatory of Music, and an MA from Rice. That's quite the education.

7. NWBass

NWBass

Jan 4, 2005
    I also heard that Samuel Hager was one of the runners up. . .though he doesn't have a master's degree:bawl:
    He does, however, hold an undergraduate minor in math!:bassist:

8. The auditions began Sunday Morning at 9:00 am... they wanted us to arrive 1 1/2 hours before our round... so someone arrived at 7:30 am....

By about 5:00 pm Monday afternoon the committee had been through 55 initial candidates, then 13 semi finalists, then 4 finalists, then 1 "extra-finalist" alone, then 2 more "super-extra-finalists" alone,... then they named Kristen Bruya the audition winner, Jory ___ as 1st runner-up, Sam Hager 2nd runner-up.

9. I don't think there is anything as too much education. Sure Kristen might have taken a while to get a job....but as far as I have seen not many people are at the "job" level right out of undergrad. Most people just need some more time coaching the excerpts and stuff. Sure she has a lot of school and was in New World for 3 years but maybe that is what she wanted. I did not see anyone being down on Dan K. or Scott Pingle for going through soo much school before they won their jobs. Personally I think if thats what it takes to get a job then that is what it takes.

10. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    I don't think Paul was suggesting that Kristen is any less of a player for the amount of time she spent in school. On the contrary I think he was suggesting that if you're going to be in school the UM, CCM and Rice are some of the best places to go.

11. Dude. It was a compliment. Crap.

12. its cool man....internet is not always the best way of expressing/understand what is said. Its hard to understand what a person means sometime thats all...have a good time at rice next year and say hey to Ted Merit for me....peace

13. bierbass

bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't really see the point of the above post. I'm glad he has an undergrad minor in math. So what. Obviously he's a good player or he wouldn't have been a finalist. Paul was just pointing out where Kristen has studied. Bottom line... Kristen is a great player who has worked hard and payed her dues. Congratulations Kristen!

14. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Once again I don't think NWBass was trying to "ruffle anyone's feathers" he was simply pointing out an intresting non-bass fact, thus the guitar rocking emoticon. I know it doesn't always seem that way but the internet can also be used to spread things other than slander, malice and lies.

For example, I know a guy who has played basketball with Eugene Levinson. Apparently he is pretty good for a guy in his mid-sixties. Just an intresting fact, nothing more.

Everyone needs to relax just a little bit.

15. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    Dude, I don't even know why you posted this. Levinson plays bass, not basketball. I'm pretty sure that he hasn't even played basketball before. It was really disrespectful of you to even associate the legendary Levinson with such an obscene sport! Where's your dignity? You're unbelievable.

NOT!

So many times in this past month, I've seen at least a dozen flip-outs from different people. Aren't we bass players known for our relaxed attitude and sarcasm toward most every aspect of the world? My advice is that if it sounds a little fishy on Talkbass, don't take it seriously. 99% of us are poking fun 99% of the time.

16. Beebo!

Beebo!

Mar 31, 2006
    listen guys, I just want everyone to know that I played basketball with Eugene Levinson and completely housed him.

17. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Not only can Levinson rape the majority of us with his bass playing, He can in Basketball and Tennis too!

18. bierbass

bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Well if I overreacted, than I apologize. I interpreted NWBass's tone as though he was trying to prove something like Sam Hager was better because he didn't have a Master's etc. If I am wrong than I'm sorry. However, this was supposed to be a thread about the Nashville audition and who won. I'd be more than happy to swap stories about playing basketball with Levinson or learn interesting non-audition related facts in a different thread. I suppose I'm overreacting right now too. Maybe you'll understand in a few years after you've spent countless hours away from your friends and family, playing the same excerpts over and over before you leave and go to your gig or teach some spoiled, snot-nose teenager how to play a C major scale and listen to their excuses about why they havn't had time to practice yet they want to be a music major. But I digress. If I've offended anybody or said anything to further spread malice on the internet I apologize.