1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nastiest bass I've ever owned

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Webtroll, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I bought a 4001 from a guy a few years back (and sold it, Ricks and I don't mix) who had a roach problem. When I knocked on the door they were watching TS and while we spoke at the door he left the lights out. From there I would see things moving along the wall but thought it best to keep my mouth shut. The outside light worked, the bass was cheap, so I paid him and left. The next day I dropped it off for a pro setup and while I was there the tech removed the covers to see what we were dealing with, and baby roaches spilled out. I was embarassed and on the service receipt he listed that he removed the roach infestation for free. I wish I'd kept the receipt if not the bass itself.

Anyone have a similar story of a bass that was just gross in some way?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    that is pretty nasty....

3. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    I can't think of anything that disgusting, but I'll watch this thread to see if anyone can beat your story.

:D

4. Didnt know cockroaches like bass!:bag:

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's awesome!

Actually, roaches are pretty gross.

6. Cactusgrant

Cactusgrant

Jul 27, 2006
    Thats pretty sick man. How did it effect the tone?

7. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    maybe the roaches gave the bass an awesome roach tone and by removing them you removed the magic...maybe, just maybe.

8. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    I saw a guy playing a guitar that looked like it'd been spunked on. Dried yellowish crusty nastiness all over the lower bout. Not sure what that did to the tone, but I don't think he got any girls by showing off his spunk rag.

9. I used a dremmel and slightly enlarged the pup cavities on my violin bass so I could use EMGs. Unfourtunately, I did the work late at night and wasn't thinking to clearly, so I forgot to vacum out the sawdust. At the next band practice, I unplugged my bass and sawdust started spilling out of the output jack. We all got a good laugh.

10. haha, thats classic bassist attitude.

'oh my god, thats sick! cocroaches in your bass.... but the tone was alright wasnt it?!?!?!'

:D

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good disgusting story, but sad you didn't get along with the Ric. I know, there not for everyone, and that's ok, but it's still a great cockroach story nonetheless.

12. I used to play guitar in a crust punk band and my guitar was litterally covered with snot blood and dried puke from every member. It wasn't on purpose, but we were pretty vile on stage. Imagine what it looked like when I puked on the snare mid song and on every snare hit puke would fling up all over the drummer and the kit.

13. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Was the band called "Mom's So Proud"?

14. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Hmmm... it doesn't sound like your standard Prince Edward Island type of band. :eyebrow:

How do you manage to puke all over your instruments onstage? That sounds pretty nasty!