Nastiest Wishy Ever!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Apr 11, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :meh:I believe having exotic and different bass stylings, but isn't this going a little far? Definately the ugliest and most un-practical Wishy to date in my book. And yes, it only has 3 strings. :p[​IMG]
  2. one of these days i'm gonna go recycle a few beer bottles and buy one of those things, just to see how bad it really is.
  3. That is bad. Just bad. Maybe we should star e-mailing Wishnevsky with pictures of normal basses, to hopefully give him new ideas!!!

4. nah... seeing what he comes up with next is like a train wreck. it's terrible, but you have to keep watching.
  5. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I dunno, I think it's pretty cool looking.

"To defy the laws of tradition... a crusade only of the brave..."

6. honestly, i think that it's great that he makes what he wants, but he should get some craftmanship in those those things. i've seen some real shoddy work by that guy.

i am feeling this frightening urge to own one.
    how would i go about getting therapy for this?
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That thing reminds me of ELVIS!!!!!!
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
  9. CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    Wow, that is the ugliest bass i've ever seen...and i've seen a lot of ugly basses.
  10. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    What is that guy thinking? I mean how does one get up in the morning and say, "What the world needs now is a really ugly 3 string fretless!"
  11. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I concur. his designs are odd, which is always interesting, but the guy must be able to do some better jobs on these. Maybe a little refining and someday there may yet be promise for the wish..

"make a wish foundation" ....heheh.....lets see who can do a better job :p
  12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Kind of what I was thinking.

Hypothetical Wishy: "I messed up this cutting board by putting a big gouge in the middle of it. I guess I'll toss it. No- wait- I'll make it into a 3-string bass with the middle missing! The body will be so big no one under 7 feet could ever play it --hee heeee!"
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

To me it looks like Elvis's belt buckle!!:p
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, on the toilet.
  15. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That, now I'm getting verklempt! :bawl: :D
  16. Why is it that a guy who makes rather funky extremely distinctive kind of "folk art" basses get the crap ripped out of him constantly, while factories and designers all over the world that are stuck with generally very conservative and boring designs don't really raise any ones heckles.
    Yes, I know blah, tried and true designs blah blah.

What is this, the "white picket fence, 2.5 children, 2 cars and Fender Precision" school of aesthetic conservatism???

Are Wishys to be rounded up by the FBI for offences against True and Proper Bass design?

Reminds of many peoples reactions to free-jazz or thrash-metal or punk etc "what is this noise, its awful, it's not music, they can't even play properly!"

Sure, shoddy craftsmanship is a big and valid problem, but I find it interesting that Mr Wishys obvious single minded passion and creative expression, flawed as it may be, irks so many people here, it *really* seems to get on their nerves....

I mean, if you think they are ugly and play like poop fine, but at least it keeps the world interesting.

Rock on Wishy!

I wouldn't buy one though.
  17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You know. I've seen many of his creations now. At first, I laughed with everyone else. Now, I just have to say more power to him. If his muse tells him to carve wood this way, let him do it. Let him express his creativity in any way that he feels he needs to.

My only recommendation to him is that if he wants to sell these basses, he should consider improving the playability of these designs. The necks need to be thinner with truss rods added. Pickup routs need to be done with greater care to get the edges straight.

There is nothing wrong with unique designs. They may not appeal to the masses, but they don't have to. Best of luck Mr. Wishnevsky.
  18. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I agree with you here. If this guy would take the time to actually create a quality product then whatever he wants to design is fine.

But if it's a bass, it should be playable. If it's a custom bass I would hope that his QC should be better than Rogue. It's really weird that he just enjoys slapping them together as haphazardly as possible, with no desire to produce something that he could be proud of.

The " I don't give a **** " of custom basses.
  19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

wrong. his instruments get rounded on because they are poorly made.

here are my basses, you decide if i'm conservative.

no, they should be rounded up and burned because they can not execute the primary function of a bass. ;)

that's art, and purely subjective. a musical instrument needs to be objectively playable, able to execute some certain set of objectively verifiable criteria.

it doesn't get on my nerves, but it does irk me - the one example of his craftsmanship that i played had the pickup so far out of line with the strings that the e string was about 1/2 the volume of everything else. never mind the fact that the neck was as thick as it was wide, a simple measurement error made that bass totally musially worthless, imo. it's fine to have something original, but it needs to at least be able to execute its purpose, otherwise it's worthless.
  20. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    That's a fact, Jack!! ;)

...and I will say again... It sure would be nice if it seemed liked he even cared. This guy is like the fast food of custom shops. It's easily available, pretty cheap, and has no nutritional value.

All he has to do is take an extra hour to:

Make his cuts straight.

Make his measurements accurate.

Sand the wood down flat.

Plan the actual location of the pickups for an actual tonal purpose.

But he won't because he obviously has no pride in his work at all. What a waste of wood.