Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nasty accident outside of work

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Aww, man, it was horrible. GC Clackamas sits right on a fairly busy street, 82nd Avenue. It's right between I-205 and 99E, which are the 2 major routes North-South on the East Side of the Willamette River, so it's a busy area. Here's what happened.

About 12:30, traffic get's kinda thick. People heading home from church and all. Some jerk in a souped up Honda decides that 45 mph is just too slow for him, so he goes MUCH faster, like twice that speed. Anyway, GC sits in a mall on the corner of 82nd and Sunnybrook, which is only a small intersection in terms of use, but today it seemed to be busy for some reason. Maybe Costco was having a sale. I dunno. What ever it was, it was causing some congestion, and the intersection was kinda backed up. So this kid comes flying in. And doesn't stop. BAM!! Right into the side of a 12 passenger van. The employee's that could be spared left to go help, and the van was about half full. I don't think anyone died, but 2 smallish (10-12) kids were VERY badly hurt. The prick who was driving too fast was pretty banged up, too. The fortunate thing is that there is a large hospital close by, so they didn't have to wait for a long time to get medical attention.

So let this be a lesson to all of you: DON'T SPEED!!

Rock on
    Eric

2. Actually.. speeding is ok, ONLY if the traffic allows it, and as long as it's not in residential area's.

For example : at 00:00 on an abandoned highway.. you could drive a little faster than 120km/h imo..

but indeed..on broad daylight, in the middle of a residential area, it's not smart to drive too fast.. :(

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Irresponsible use of speed is one of the biggest killers on the roads - in most countries. This is clear case of irresponsible use of speed.

I'm only glad that the a****e survived so that he can live with the consequences! I hope that the kids and all the other victims have a speedy recovery - and they are not left with lasting wounds/disabilities because of this a****e's actions!

I admit I speed on occasion - but not in built up areas, I generally piss people off by driving about 25pmh in a 30mph zone. I have a 3 year old son and in built up areas I'm constantly on the lookout for kids/pets. When it's open roads, plenty of visibility - yeah' I'll exceed the speed limit (especially if I'm overtaking), but I always try to dive within my limits!!

4. Hmm it'd be a miracle if my car started.. let alone get near the speed limit.... :rolleyes:

:D:D

Merls

5. Something that amazes me is when some people complain, with surprise, that they were caught speeding. They will make a speech about how unfair it is and how it's only done to make money out citizens (with fines).

"Excuse me Sir while I fetch your brain"

6. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I am a huge speeder, however, Not in residetnial areas, I never, ever go over 10 miles the speedlimit.
    Yes, I have been caught, I don't play stupid. I deserved the ticket, pay it, and go on about my business. I agree, speeding is wrong, and I am trying real hard to fix that. I rush through everything. I talk fast, eat fast, walk fast. I need to slow down, not just on my driving, but in life in general.

7. Hope those kids get well soon.

I don't speed. I got my licence three months ago and I've already had too many close calls, so I just don't speed.

8. I hope those kids sue the pants off that Honda dick!
    Two words: Speed Kills!
    Merls, I can relate to that, I drive a all stock 68 VW bus most of the time,, People (mostly chicks in their larger than life SUV) are always flipping me off for some reason.:)

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Thats a waste of insurance claims, hospital fees, and time for saving a few minutes on the road. Driving shouldn't ever be done if you are intoxicated, angry, tired, or sad. No emotions should come between you and driving or else tremendous consequence will ensue.

Can't people just take they're f***** time! :mad:

10. Yeah, usually from amongst the bits and pieces of his windshield. :mad:

11. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I speed on backroads where no one ever goes. lol, thats about all there is around here. We've got like two fuzz for the entire town... pretty funny

12. If you have 100 miles to go and you drive 50mph, it'll take you 2 hours to get where you're going.

If you drive 75mph, it'll take you 1 hour and 20 minutes to get there.

If you drive 100mph, you may not get there at all. ;) :(

Slow down.

Mike J.

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Unfortunately I have seen more than my share of this kind of stupidity. I cant tell you the lives i have seen thrown away all for the sake of saving a few minutes.

How much is your time worth?

Mike

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I only speed on the interstate when its not crowded.. and even then i'm not blazing down the interstate..

15. That story has a lot less bloody of an outcome than the ones that have gone down out here lately.
    ~Ad

16. Only old people have a reason for speeding.
    ----

On a more serious note, I hope those people get better, and that guy has learned his lesson. He wasted his time by trying to make time. Just foolish on his part.

I was once in a car accident cause of some idiot speeding. He basically blind sided us and wrecked the side of the car. No one was hurt, but my mom was seriously pissed, and the guy was arrested for drunk driving.

17. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Its not the speed that kills!!!!!! Its the sudden stop!!!!!!

18. We found out yesterday that the entire family is going to be fine, but the little girl broke both legs, her left arm, most of her ribs, plus various internal injuries. Yeah, it sounds bad (I'll bet it is!!:eek: ) but according to her mom the hospital will be realeasing her home in a week, so we are all glad for that.

As for the friggin moron, he's in the county right now, charged with reckless endangerment and assualt with a vehicle. Plus the family is sueing. HA!! Dumb preppie rich kid.

So, a bad experiance for all, but with a positive outcome.

Rock on
    Eric

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hopefully. i hope the kid heals ok.

20. I"m going to take a flying leap but with the injuries that her mom listed to us, going home in a weeks means that either the hospital is WAY out of line, or she's doing very well. And I happen to be an optimist.:D

Rock on
    Eric