Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nasty buzzing from new amp (please help!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red701, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Red701

Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    i just got a new AXL b60 bass amp. i like it and it works pretty well except for when i play any kind of G (weather its on open g string, high or low whatever.) wheneevr i play a G i get this nasty buzzing sound like a tiny peice of paper is flapping around inside the amp or a weed wacker spinning around against a rock. can this be fixed or is it a forsaken amp?

2. Red701

Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    ok ok ive figured out what the problem is. theres a grate in front of the woofer thats drilled on and whenever i play a G that grate rattles causeing that nasty sound. so i figure that the way to fix that would be to unscrew the grate leaving the woofer exposed. is that safe for the amp?

3. I wouldn't think it's a problem, unless you put your foot or the neck of your bass into it! I used to use a Peavey with a 2x15 cabinet. I'd set the cab on it's side, tilt it a bit and take the front off to show the speakers, (trying to look "cool" back then...), and had no problems because of it.

Just remember; the grate is there to protect the speaker, and since you got it new, maybe the company should fix that little annoying problem :spit: before something happens and you lose warrenty because you didn't have the grate on when it happened... :crying:

Food for thought.

4. Red701

Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    i read a few reviews on the amp and a bunch of people said they have the same problem. one guy took off the cage and padded the edges with electrical tape and put the cage back on. i think i might try that

5. either that or some thin foam weather stripping like one would use around the inside of a door frame. Don't see a problem with that. Good luck. At least is was something this simple! :D

6. or just screw it on tightly so it doesnt rattle?

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    My room I practice in buzzes when I play a low E. Seems anything loose rattles but only with that note. Resonant Frequency I guess???