Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nasty crackly noises in my Peavey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmaniac2, Aug 24, 2000.

1. bassmaniac2

bassmaniac2

Aug 24, 2000
    Hey, I bought a Peavey TNT 115S amp a couple months ago and it's generally a great amp. But after this gig I played at, I've been noticing some crackling and popping noises when I play low notes (like open E) semi-loud. What causes this? Is it my amp or my bass or my strings? How much would this cost me to fix? Thanks for your replies.

BM

2. I had the same problem years ago with my Hartke 3500 head. It turned out to be several broken solder connections inside. An easy fix but have a tech check it out unless you know what up inside your amp head.

3. before you take it in to get it checked out, try backing off of the pre-gain a little and pushing the volume up a little more. also, it is a relatively low powered amp, so if you have the low frequencies boosted try backing those off some and see if that helps.

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yeah, I had the same deal with an old Sunn amp a few years back. Loose connection on a ground inside, but it only lost contact when I hit certain notes. Took a while to dope out the problem (the tech couldn't duplicate it on the bench -- eventually had to set everything up in his shop and SHOW him what was happening).

[Edited by jcadmus on 08-24-2000 at 02:09 PM]

5. bassmaniac2

bassmaniac2

Aug 24, 2000
    Great! Thanks!

6. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Same thing with my peavy 210tx combo. took it to the shop and they couldnt figure out what I was talking about.

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    B.M.2, I've had a TKO act that way and it ended up being a dirty pot. The pot had a little scratchiness but it didn't seem like much to worry about. Then it started to sound like the speaker was death rattling. Hope yours is that easy to fix.