Nasty crackly noises in my Peavey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmaniac2, Aug 24, 2000.

1. bassmaniac2

Aug 24, 2000
    Hey, I bought a Peavey TNT 115S amp a couple months ago and it's generally a great amp. But after this gig I played at, I've been noticing some crackling and popping noises when I play low notes (like open E) semi-loud. What causes this? Is it my amp or my bass or my strings? How much would this cost me to fix? Thanks for your replies.

2. I had the same problem years ago with my Hartke 3500 head. It turned out to be several broken solder connections inside. An easy fix but have a tech check it out unless you know what up inside your amp head.
  3. before you take it in to get it checked out, try backing off of the pre-gain a little and pushing the volume up a little more. also, it is a relatively low powered amp, so if you have the low frequencies boosted try backing those off some and see if that helps.

4. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yeah, I had the same deal with an old Sunn amp a few years back. Loose connection on a ground inside, but it only lost contact when I hit certain notes. Took a while to dope out the problem (the tech couldn't duplicate it on the bench -- eventually had to set everything up in his shop and SHOW him what was happening).

[Edited by jcadmus on 08-24-2000 at 02:09 PM]
  5. bassmaniac2

Aug 24, 2000

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Same thing with my peavy 210tx combo. took it to the shop and they couldnt figure out what I was talking about.
  7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    B.M.2, I've had a TKO act that way and it ended up being a dirty pot. The pot had a little scratchiness but it didn't seem like much to worry about. Then it started to sound like the speaker was death rattling. Hope yours is that easy to fix.