Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nasty, nasty buzzing in our PA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman314, May 16, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a funny buzzing issue.

In our Youth department's sound set-up, we run all of our A.V stuff into a switch box, then into a Mackie Board on one of the stereo channels.

In the A/V Switch, we have a VCR, DVD, CD and a desktop computer.

When the Switch box is on the computer, and the fader for the channels, mains, and sub-group are all on, we get NASTY buzzing. It's the only time we get that sort of buzzing going on. Here's the set-up:

PC -(1/8" - RCA)-> Switch Box -(RCA - 1/4" TRS)-> Ebtek Hum Eliminator -(1/4" TRS - 1/4" TRS)-> Channel input.

We're using a Mackie CFX 16, a Dell Dimension 4700, and a Radio Shack 4-channel A/V switch.

Any thoughts?

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Through some investigation work (cable chasing), I found the problem.

The computer is plugged in separately than the rest of the system. They are on the same power circuit, but plugged into different wall receptacles.

I checked the cord at the wall, and it was out about 1/8". I adjusted it and it solved MOST of the buzzing. It's MUCH quiter now. We only hear it when the faders for the channel, subgroup, and master are set at +10 db. We leave the faders at/around -25db most of the time.

The buzz is only at lower frequencies, as well. Think it might be time to replace some wall receptacles and check on our wiring.