Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nasty noise when I pluck A & D strings.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cassanova, Aug 10, 2001.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I took my mim dlx to rehearsal last night and noticed that when I hit the A and D strings, that Id get a nasty metallic clicking sound every time I plucked the strings, It did this in open positions as well as fretted positions on the neck. I dont think its the nut slots, because I get the noise when I fret just about anywhere on the neck. I even thought it was hitting the pickup but its not doing that. Any idea of what the heck is wrong? and more importantly how do i fix it.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check the bridge. Probably the cylinders hit each other. Make sure that the screws that determine the string height are equally high.

Or get a new one. Fender bridges aren't exactly a masterpiece of bass design.
    Get a Badass or something similar.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    1. how low is your action?
    2. how hard do you play?
    3.how much high end do you push?

It sounds to me like your hearing strings hitting frets.
    When your finger comes off the d string, it comes to rest on the a string and it slaps against the frets if you play too hard or the action is too low ect. ect.
    play lighter, raise the action, turn down the high end. A bass only has one moving part for all intents and purposes (the string)

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    my action is low, but not that low to where it should do this, i didnt adjust anything other than a pickup and its not hitting that, so i dont see why all of a sudden it would do this.

I play with a very light touch

I dont push that much high end, just enough to brighten the sound a bit.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmmm. how interesting. It really sounds like a mechanical issue to me moreso than electrical.

Some Fender bridge saddles have a nasty habit of creeping down over time. You may want to check to see if the a & d saddles and the bridge as a whole follow the neck radious.
    You may also want to check the truss rod, all the rain/humidity/heat we've had in Fl. lately has been giving my bass fits.
    The quick down and dirty test is to jack the action and see if it goes away.

I've dealt with the noise you're describing before.
    I like low action and top end so it's right there waiting for me the second I get sloppy and start digging in too hard.

It's gotta be the setup.......