Nasty, rasty, sweet Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonathan Starr, Sep 8, 2004.

1. I recently got a used Sadowsky Standard 5 with single coil JJ pickups from a brother Talkbass member, and I'm in bass heaven.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It's lightweight ash with a maple board, and it is wonderfully aggressive and warm. It's positively nasty, in the best tradition of early jazz basses, much more so than my similar ash JJ4 with Sadowsky hum cancelling pickups. I really prefer the single coil tone (with the blend in the sweet spot slightly favoring the bridge pickup) and I've gotten great comments. In the few days I've had it I've done 2 gigs and a live radio show, and I think I sounded better than I ever have.

Much thanks, Mike. I love the bass.

2. Excellent! Off topic: you wouldn't happen to be Dave Starrs brother, would you? Just happened to notice the starr in both your names. Very beautiful bass, I'll bet it plays as dreamy as it looks.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Congrats man!! Looks like me 5!! Good luck

4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dagnabbit, that is a schweeet lookin' rig! :eek:
  5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Sob! :(

Glad you :( like it :( .
    Tell her I said :bawl: I miss her :bawl:

It really is a cool bass, I thought it was gonna go to the grave with me, but the new Fodera is filling in her shoes quite fine!!
    Glad your happy with it. And glad it stayed in the family, the TB family!!!!
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx alot Jonny,

just had to make me go to the instock page, didnt ya? didnt ya?!?!?!?

still, this would look good on me, no? ;)
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Come on, how many Sadowsky basses can one person own?!?!?!?! :mad:

8. Sorry, no relation to Dave.

& I hereby would like to make a disclaimer that the author will be in no way responsible for sudden GAS attacks suffered after perousing this dangerous thread!

Boy, I like this bass. I've never played a Sadowsky that is this gruff, but it just fits in the mix and stands out just right.

I was concerned about the single coils, but so far they have been absolutely silent. They have a lot of output and act like they were overwound.

9. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

Heh heh, yeah but it looks better on me!!
    (see photo below!)
    Now that the Cherry Burst is gone.
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Very nice bass Jonathan!!! Conrats :bassist:
  11. Nice! After several years, I am still impressed with how well my Vintage 5 (with single coils) sits in the mix. It just always sounds "right". Sound and recording engineers and my band mates love it.

As someone who enjoys "upgrading", I've not found a jazz bass that is its equal.

12. Hi Jon,
    Congrats, it's beeeeeautiful!

Note: Even though you're no stranger to Sadowsky's my new PJ/4 came with some little fuzzy socks to go over my guitar stand support were the neck lays in. This is because mine ( I assume all ) have the nitrocellulous laquer finish and it can be attacked overtime by certain rubber or synthetic materials used on the the stands now a days.

Maybe Mr. Sadowsky or one of the guys will pop in here to verify my "head's up" thing. Just want to be safe. :)

Hey, when did you get the Bergie 2x10 and 1x15? Did I miss something?
    Which one are you using more these days, the NV215 or that rig? And I see you have the Aggie too, man, I'm falling behind.... :crying:
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fantastic bass... I'm sure it does sound as beautiful as it looks... especially through those sweet sweet amp rigs!
  14. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    The more I play my Sadowsky the more I love it. Truly an amazing bass, especially in the mix. Great looking score, Jonathan! (nice looking DB680 too... hope you're loving it)
  15. A gorgeous killer sounding and playing Sadowsky bass, sweet bass rigs, lives in Hawaii, has a cool name.
    Pretty nice.
  16. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Beautiful bass! One Q: do you mean by the above that there's no single-coil hum when either pup is solo'ed (or even emphasized using the blend knob)? Or simply that there's no single-coil hum when both are at equal volume?
  17. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Wow guys, you never made that big a deal over it when I had it!!!
  18. Surprisingly, so far I have not experienced hum from the single coils, even when one is emphasized. I haven't had it in any dirty environments (bars with bad power and neon beer signs etc) which will be the true test. I've been listening to a cd from the live radio show (Latin Jazz) I did with it the day after it arrived, and it sure sounded great in the mix. I just got a Roland VS-2000CD today, and plugged the DB-680 into an input and recorded some sample tracks with no eq that sounded killer.

I'd like to know for sure if the stand issue is a concern with this bass. I use mainly the Ultimate stands with black hard rubber but I also have an old triple with surgical tubing that I often take to gigs and share with the guitars.

I've had the 210/115 stack for a long time; I think they were the first ones Bass Northwest got in. They sound fantastic with the Aggie, and the NV-215 is great with the Demeter, but they generally stay in the studio. Almost all of my gigs are with the WW & one or 2 112s. The big stuff sounds marginally better, but I value my aging back and no fool wants to be my roadie (sob!).

Aloha all,

19. Hi Jon,
    I could be completely wrong about your bass's neck finish. I would just give Mr. Sad a call and set your mind at ease.