Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nasty sounds coming from bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wrincle, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Wrincle

Wrincle

Aug 26, 2004
    Ok, I play my electric bass (an Ibanez SBX300, active electronics, with a Peavey Microbass III amp) and when I pluck the string it makes a buzzy/splurgy sound while playing a 0 or any of the top frets (from 1-5 most of the time) on any string.

I was playing at jazz band the other day and another bassist said it's called 'dead notes'. He didn't know what caused it, so I went to my local music shop and got the neck adjusted slightly and some new strings (because I broke one tuning it). The guy there suggested that I keep the bass in a room with consistent airflow because he said the air's temperature expands and contracts the wood and screws up the tuning. Well, I got it into a room with consistent airflow and left it there for a while and I went back to play it, and it still does it. :mad:

What do I do? I'm new to the world of electric bass guitar and I want to play without my guitar making crazy buzzing noises! :help:

Thank you so much for your time. I'm counting on you people... :bawl:

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    What's commonly referred to as "dead notes" or rather, "dead spots" (which is what I think he meant), aren't really the buzzing tones, but certain spots on the neck that lack in sustain and fundamental. I'd guess you have a setup issue, possibly with uneven fretwork or a poorly filed nut? How much time has elapsed from the guy adjusting the neck to you testing it again? If it's less than 2 days, wait another day and see if it's better. It could take a while before big neck adjustments become evident.

3. Wrincle

Wrincle

Aug 26, 2004
    Ill wait another day, since it has been 1. I guess it's like healing after surgery or something. :)

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Copying from another post (courtesy of Treena...)

There are three things that you might memorize for reference in the future.

1- If the string(s) buzz on the first 4 or 5 frets, a relief problem is indicated and a truss rod adjustment is in order.

2- If the strings buzz on the last few frets a bridge height adjustment is in order.

3- An open string buzz usually indicates a bad nut if the buzz clears up when you note the first fret.

Hope this helps - be very careful doing this yourself, of course. You can damage the bass cranking forever on the truss rod...

5. Yep, sounds like a truss rod adjustment is necessary to me. The guy in the shop probably just guessed at how much relief you'd need if he did the repairs quick... if he's a bit off you might need to loosen it some more.

6. Wrincle

Wrincle

Aug 26, 2004
    What should I say to the guy now? I told him I wanted it fixed...this is not what I paid my money for. :mad:

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I might say something like, "Give me my money back, please, as you didn't actually fix the thing."

And then I'd find someone who knows what to do, or better yet, learn to do it myself.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL