Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman60, Feb 16, 2002.

1. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Hey guys, I'm in a hard rock band and I'm about to buy a new cabinet. I really like 6 ten set-ups and they seem to be just the amount of volume I'm gonna need without being as huge as an 8x10. I use a slight bass overdrive to get somewhat of a dirty nasty tone that I just thing sounds really cool, and so do most people that we've played shows for. I was wondering what would be the best cabinet to reproduce this sound well. The SWR Goliath Senior 6x10, or the Ampeg SVT 6x10HLF?? I'm leaning twoards ampeg partly cause it's cheaper, and I've always had good experiences with ampeg gear when I have used it, but what do u say to the SWR 6x10? Is it worth the extra doe I'd be shelling out???
    thanks guys

2. Of course it's worth the extra dough, IF, and only IF, you prefer the sound of the SWR over the Ampeg. If not, then it isn't. They do not sound the same.

Personally, I've never found any SWR equipment that I really liked. Not a slam on SWR because they build some really good equipment. I just can't get into the SWR sound.

Ampeg is where it's at for me. The Ampeg SVT-610 has received a lot of accolades here and on a lot of other web sites. If you like it, go for it.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you want a clear, hi-fi, punchy kind of tone, go SWR.

but it'd be a shame to cover up all that clarity with distortion, so i'd definitely go with the ampeg! :D

4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nicely put. IME, nobody delivers upper register transparency like SWR.
  5. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i think if you are running distortion, the horn on the SWR isn't going to respond too nicely.... and if you completly attenuate the horn you run the risk of blowng a resistor in there.... i think if you wanna go distorted, and those are your 2 choices, go ampeg.