Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nat. Oil Finish help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JAL, Apr 10, 2005.

1. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Either my bass is sick, or its normal. My bass (warwick) has their natural oil finish; I wax it regularly. However, there are millions of tiny black an white "pores" on all of the wood. Is this normal?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Is it a bubinga or an ash Corvette?
    Did you buff if thoroughly - maybe there's some wax stuck in the pores?
    Is the cloh you used not coming apart?
    Have you played it in rain?
    (Anything else?)

Tiny black pores are normal on bubinga - it's the grain. White - well, not on mine...

Just a small pic would be helpful to determine what it could be.

Waxing just once a month after the first few months is ample. I only wax it about once every two months and it's enough. Be sure to buff it thoroughly, till it gets smooth and slippery, not sticky - maybe it's wax that stuck there, that you didn't buff correctly.

Anyway, I don't think this would cause any more problems beyond a cosmetical issue.

3. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If by chance it is wax; is it able to be rid of?

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, maybe you can try buffing it thoroughly with a clean, dry cloth.

5. It might be the wrong wax. Waxes designed for furnitures usually won't dry white. I use Minwax Finishing Paste wax and and even inch thick, it only musters up a natural deep "flesh" color. When it goes on, it is totally transparent and any buildup in the pores isn't visible. When I buff, you can't see it. If you used an automotive wax, that might be the problem. They dry to a white powder that can build up in the crevices.

6. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Its the Warwick wax i just ordered from em...Ive noticed its apparent where the grain is perpendicular. Looks like little white dots...seems to be in the wood. (Sorry its hard to explain; id take a pic but my girlfriend stole and broke my dig. camera)

7. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I just answered my question. I called warwick up, and its normal; sometimes happens on Bubinga; its just the grain. What i was seeing is where the grain is perpendicular, the wood is lighter.

8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I would use Bowling Alley wax. That is what I use on my Spectors and it is recommended by just about every bass manufacturer. I would love to see a pic to better asses the situation.

9. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I hand rub boiled linseed oil on my Warwick. I DESPISE waxing it. Every time I apply the oil, about once a month, spend about 15-20 minutes rubbing it in, just like I do with rifle stocks, and it looks better and better. It makes for a beautiful finish, and I love the way it looks. So do most who see it. Why don't you try oiling the wood instead of that nasty wax?????

10. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Fer the people who wanted pics...
    Here ya go :)

Attached Files:

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That looks completely normal.
    What white spots?

12. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The mottleyness (its not the photo). I guess thats normal with bubinga? Im a wood newb.

13. Yes you are! :D

That pattern looks like it's the result of how the fibers of the wood align with the polished top surface and react with the incoming light. Call it "micro figuring" - that's not a real word but it describes the effect. I've seen it in places like that where the direction of the cut has changed. It only shows that you've got a well machined and polished piece of nice wood and it's been taken care of.

Relax... :cool:

14. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I am. :) Thanks Hambone. As usual, you save the day.
    It has been well taken care of; if i even think of playing it its wiped down with an anti-static cloth ;-)
    Thanks a million everyone;
    until my next bout of BASSic paranoia.