Natalie Cole on the Tonight Show (Nov 14)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob C, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Did anyone catch Natalie Cole on the Tonight Show last night? The mix was great, and the bass REALLY came through! We need more of that. I don't know who the bass player was, but he sure cooked. I couldn't tell what he was playing - maybe a Smith or Fodera...or something else?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sonofagun!! When I heard that Natalie Cole was going to be on I thought to myself, watch/listen to this...she always hires top flight musicians. I mentioned to the person I saw it with, "Geez, that band is really tight. Even the three chicks singing backup had one voice." What was the song, "This Will Be"???? Two things that really caught me were the mental metronome all those guys had because the song had a several 5 beat/count pauses and everyone stopped and started on a dime, secondly, those people knew they were there to entertain because they genuinely looked like they were having a real good time. I wish these night show clowns would at least ask the artists they interview who was playing what. They made that appearance a success every bit as much as N. Cole did. Consumate pros!
    As for his bass, I would guess it's a Toby, I mean "Tobias," Fodera or Warwick but that's just going by the body shape and wood color, I never saw the headstock.
    It didn't have the little butt horn that Smiths do. Now here we go...I thought his D&G sounded a little "thin" for the song but when he got deep his sound got a lot fatter. But then, what can you really tell from TV transmission ?

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-15-2000 at 02:26 AM]