Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nate Phillips- Bass used on Pleasure's "Glide"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Jan 31, 2006.

1. Hey Jive-Streeter's,
    Question. I'm almost 100% sure the tone of the Bass on 70's funk band Pleasure's hit "Glide" is a Jazz bass. Maybe someone out there can tell me fo' sho'! Great tune, great tone, kinda like Slaves' hit "Slide", talk about some funk!!

Bobbo 77'

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He may have played a Jazz but I saw them live back in 1980 when Glide was a hit and he brought down the house playing a Stingray. I don't currently have a copy of Pleasure's greatest hits or "Future Now" so I can only go by memory.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Never seen them live but it doesn't sound like a jazz to me! But it could be the way it was recorded and eq'd. I don't hear that jazz 'growl' on that tune.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was told that he played a 'Ray.

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Saw him live when glide came out, he had a white sting ray with a white pickguard that sounded incredible

6. deanb1043

deanb1043

Dec 20, 2002
    Glide is definitely a jazz bass but a lot of Pleasures other tunes are recorded with a Stingray. He also used a Ray on Ronnie Laws Every Generation album for some cuts. Those old Stingrays just sounded so much better. I had one and traded it for a Pedulla because I wanted to try a 5 string. Could kick myself now, lol.

7. basmartin

basmartin

Aug 6, 2007
    Sweden
    Yes, it´s a Jazz Bass, strunged with Rotosound strings. There was an artikel in Bass Player a couple of years ago about this bassline.

T-MOST likes this.
  8. deanb1043

deanb1043

Dec 20, 2002
    Lately he's been playing a Bossa bass. Saw him with Jeff Lorber.

9. deanb1043

deanb1043

Dec 20, 2002
    P.S., love your My Funky Valentine Martin. Funky as hell brother.

10. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm pretty sure Nate played a Jazz bass and I beileve that he said said so in Bass Player Magazine a year or two ago.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

11. deanb1043

deanb1043

Dec 20, 2002
    He played a Jazz bass of course but you can't miss the distinctive sound of a stingray. He kind of alternated between the 2 on the 2 pleasure albums I have. Then on the Dazz band hit let it whip I think he had moved on to a Musicman Sabre and it sounds monstrous. Edit. I've been informed it was Michael Wiley on Let it whip. Thanks Jauqo.

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    sounds like a stingray. great record and player :)

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Nate is a friend of mine and he did in fact play a Jazz bass on the track Glide. And he is not the bassist on the Dazz band track Let It Whip. The bassist pn that track was the late Michael Wiley.

14. deanb1043

deanb1043

Dec 20, 2002
    I know he played a Jazz on glide. I'm talking about the rest of the record wasn't all jazz. What bass did Wiley play on the Dazz track Let it whip? It almost sounds like an Alembic when he slaps the octaves on the break but someone told me it was a Sabre.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Michael Wiley played a MM StingRay or Sabre.

16. deanb1043

deanb1043

Dec 20, 2002
    Sorry to hear a talented brother is gone. May he rest in peace.

17. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I knew it was a Jazz when I first heard it. sounds like he had one of those opamp preamps in his bass. either that or the bass track was enhanced during the mixdown

18. deanb1043

deanb1043

Dec 20, 2002
    It doesn't really sound like a jazz with a preamp in it.Just a good older jazz bass. I like his stingray on the Give it up album on cuts like sending my love, the title cut and stone love which he plays slightly muted. On take it to the streets I can't tell if it's a jazz with the neck pickup favored or a precision bass?

19. mrfun53

mrfun53

Feb 19, 2012
    If Im not mistaken Pleasure never had a Greatest Hits Lp. They had the one Album with two hits on hit, one being Glide and the other being a song called Joyous. As for the base, it could very well have been Fender Jazz but the strings used I dont think were your typical Jazz strings, the bass lines had to much pop to them, he was playing Octaves.

20. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    There were a few Pleasure "greatest hits" albums, one of which was this: Pleasure (4) - Straight Ahead - The Best Of Pleasure Volume 1 (Vinyl, LP) at Discogs