Nates leathercrafting thread.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AB Nate, May 7, 2017.

1. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Hola fellow bass enthusiasts.

I've taken on another hobby that is unfortunately taking too much time away from by bass learning but I really enjoy it and I'm thinking of it as a retirement plan. Ha.

I just finished my 4th project. It's a dog collar. The first 3 were straps. I thought maybe it's time I'll just start a thread of its own rather then post on other topics where it may not belong.

Anyways, I'm at the starting point of a large learning curve so bear with me. ;).

The reason I'm posting here is this has quickly become my favourite forum and we all are passionate about the topics here so it just seems fitting to post one of my other passions that kinda crosses lines with bass.

I am working on a company name and such just cause I do appreciate good branding and not that I plan on going very far with it or anything like that.

Anyways,
    Here is photos of task one.
    Oh and p.s. My wife also is moving along with this so I most likely will post photos of some of her projects.

IMG_4862.JPG

Attached Files:

2. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    IMG_4928.JPG IMG_4933.JPG I learned a lot about stitching on the first strap. Still is a slow process though.

Strap number 2. The finish was kind of a fluke. Lol. I haven't been able to replicate it yet. But I really liked it.

Attached Files:

equill, nixdad, Rebel Rocker and 8 others like this.
  3. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Here is a sneak peak of strap #3
    It's off to its new home. I accidentally made it to be a perfect match for my friends Dingwall so I had to get some photos with it.
    There was a lot of firsts for me on this but I really hope to do more like this.

IMG_5149.JPG

Attached Files:

Rebel Rocker, Al Kraft, oZZma and 9 others like this.
  4. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Here is project #4
    A dog collar.
    For a really goofy bulldog.

IMG_5283.JPG IMG_5292.JPG

Attached Files:

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

very nice work! love those straps! :thumbsup:

why wait for retirement? you could probably get some custom orders, for your custom work, right now from a few TB'ers. ;)

6. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016

I appreciate that. Thank you. Unfortunately there are currently quite a lot of man hours that go into making one of these. Too many to the point that it's not feasible to sell for profit. I gotta still keep the green machine chuggin which means my play time is limited to a very slow production time.
    All of the stitching is done by hand and that there is where I think no matter how much I speed up on other steps the 5 ish hours of stitching is always gonna be there. Lol. I could get a machine but..... that kinda takes away from the "handcrafted" theme.

Maybe one day I'll have an "economy line" lol.

All that said, of course I need a list of projects to keep me occupied and by all means if anyone is seriously interested I'd be happy to make something up for you... it just may take a while. I currently have a small list yet so pm me if you like. ;).

Fat Freddy and JRA like this.
  7. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Here are a few more photos of strap #3.
    Thanks @bebass for the opportunity to make this up for you.

IMG_5110.JPG IMG_5111.JPG IMG_5115.JPG IMG_5118.JPG IMG_5119.JPG IMG_5121.JPG IMG_5122.JPG IMG_5126.JPG IMG_5141.JPG

Attached Files:

8. I like the second one that looks like a fretboard. Good work sir.

Fat Freddy, dtsamples and AB Nate like this.
  9. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Thank you. I'm gonna try a few more like that.

Fat Freddy and dtsamples like this.
  10. mngnt

mngnt

Aug 9, 2015
    Alberta, Canada
    Very nice. Can you PM me a price for one like that 3rd one?

11. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Inactive

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Me too!
    Me too!

12. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    I tool leather as a hobby. I though you machine-stitched those. awesome work!

AB Nate likes this.
  13. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016

Thank you. The 1st strap is a dead giveaway that I hand stitched as it's pretty rough. Lol but right in the last 4" of that strap I got better. Hahahaha.
    The rest of them I've just taken it pretty slow about 5-6 hours per strap. I'm using waxed cord as it's the largest thread readily available to me and I wanted the stitching to be solid looking.

It's coming along. I still need to increase my understanding of dying and staining and tooling. And. And. And.

One day I hope to get a machine for certain seams but I think most machines can't handle this cord and would have to use smaller thread to do the job. Anyways. Lots to learn and perfect. Thank you again :)

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Larry V and JRA like this.
  14. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Send me a pm if you like.
    Lol. I think I'll be busy til 2019 now.

47th Street likes this.
  15. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    Great work, wow!!!
    Do you get the leather localy?

16. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    My parents owned a leather shop in the late 70's. The previous owners used to do custom work for a bunch of rather famous southern guitarists- straps and such. They even tooled an album cover for somebody I will never remember. They were known for custom sandals.

Nice work. How are you doing the stitching?

I still see some of our old stuff pop up on Ebay and Etsy from time to time, 40+ years later. Stylistically, most looked like this, appropriate for the era:

b258d9fe79fd3c91b79b23ee80321295.jpg

Larry V, grinx, JRA and 1 other person like this.
  17. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016

Thank you. I do. Mostly from Tandy. This is another shop around as well but unfortunately the tanneries of the world have mostly left North America. So not too much tanning is done locally.

This summer I'm hoping to begin with some hobby tanning as in my life I see lots of hide go to waste. Deer,moose,elk,coyotes,cows,muskrats to name a few.

I don't think I'll have success to make veg tan (tooling leather) but I'm quite certain I can make the softer leathers and furs.

Ti-Ron likes this.
  18. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    IMG_4945.JPG IMG_4946.JPG IMG_4947.JPG Here is a couple of photos from my wifes 1st project.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Kelly robinson likes this.
  19. AB Nate

AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    IMG_4975.JPG Here is A belt I made.

Attached Files:

Larry V and Ti-Ron like this.
  20. I looked into making my own strap about 15 years ago. I went to a leather supply place and after seeing the price they wanted... well I've been buying store bought straps ever since. The one thing I would encourage you to do is to try and figure out a way to have a finer adjustment than what typical straps have. I'm forced into a too high or too low arraignment because of the coarse adjustments.

47th Street and Nickweissmusic like this.