Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nathan East hepls Jack Casady sound even better!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Greetings to all Jacksters, and others.

As if it were possible, I have found something that expands the Jack Casady's already beautiful and unique sound. It's the Yamaha Nathan East NE-1 parametric equalizer. I first saw it in Bass Player mag, then, a guy at another forum posted a very good review of it out of the blue, and this got me really interested in it. I ran into a TB member that said he was selling his because he'd bought a bass with a similar EQ onboard, and I bought it. I just got it last Friday, and spent a good part of the weekend trying it out with my Yamaha BBN5II. This bass sounds pretty good in its own right, and the NE-1 improves its sound by maybe 10%. Then, I plugged in my Casady. All I can say is, as good as the Casady sounds already, this little box improves its sound by about 25%, if you can imagine that. Whether you like the Casady on the 500 setting for that "snarl," or with all the mids cut as I do, this EQ extends your amps tone controls.(mostly mids) I have a Fender Bassman 60; it now sounds like an Ampeg or an Ashdown or an old tube Fender. The fundamental is now so round and warm that it's hard to believe that it's the same amp. Like I said it works good with the Yamaha, but with the Casady, it evokes every bit of unrealized potential that lies dormant in this bass' excellent design. You have to check this thing out!

Hail Jacksters!
    Mike J.