Nathan East

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Vorago, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I noticed this guy playing live with Eric Clapton on his last tour through Europe, and I know that he has worked with EC before...He sounded pretty sollid, although he didn't get a solo like the rest of the band... :meh: He sings good too I noticed.
    Are there any other bands he plays with or in that are worth checking out?
    What's your general opinion on him?
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nathan is THE first call session cat and THE first call high profile gig bassist! He is also a member of the jazz band, Fourplay. He's toured with Clapton, Babyface and Phil Collins among many others! Personally, I think he's the best all around bassist out there in addition to his superb vocal support!
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He is on my "I hate you" list. He's amazing!
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Who didn't East play with back in the '80s?! Who?

Rainey went into semi-retirement & it seemed East stepped right in & scooped up all those happenin' studio gigs.

The '80s Al Jarreau, Chaka Khan, & Manhatten Transfer("Mystery" is a beautiful piece with a very cool bassline; Rod Temperton was the composer, too) are top-notch.
    Pre-Clapton, East rocked out with Kenny Loggins(e.g. "Footloose").

Did East play on Anita Baker's debut?
    That's a class recording, too.
  5. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

I could not have put it better myself. :)

When I heard him lay it down on that late 80's Clapton recovering "After Midnight" I was a fan/hater for life. (you remember the song, the one they re-made for the beer commercial ;)

Plus, alot of people don't know that Nathan wrote and produced that big Philip Bailey/Phil Collins hit duet "Easy Lover." Cha-Ching!

6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

On Fourplay's "Between The Sheets" CD he does a duet with Chaka Khan (oh yeah, she can SINGGGG!) and he holds his own quite nicely.

7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Possibly the 'easiest' bass thing he's ever played.

Just remembered-
    I bought a white Yamaha 5-string in the mid-'80s 'cause of East.
    I hated that bass. ;)
  8. ArnoldoAC

Aug 23, 2003
    Couldn't have been described better by you guys.
    He is THE bassist in the comerical music world. He is also extremely versatile, and has a great sound, great personality, etc. Best all around bassist live/studio in my opinion at the moment.

9. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    If my memory serves me well, Nathan has layed down some nice bass tracks with Anita Baker :cool: his bass lines are just Smooth, and have you noticed you does not slap much :eek: (I am not a slap hater by any means) but I dont hear his name as much as you do others who do fancy techniques, or have fancy chops..

a reporter(Bob Costas) describing the late Walter Payton (running back for the Chicago Bears) said..(I'm paraphrasing)

He was not the fastest running back ever, he was not the biggest running back ever, he did not have all the fancy moves, he was just "Damn Good"

That to me is Nathan East, give the man his props :bassist:
  10. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Nathan has very big chops, but he only uses them to serve the groove.

I do agree that he is the MVP of the bass world. I would compare him more to a great pointguard like Jason Kidd, he makes everyone around him play better.

Walter Payton was one of a kind. He left us much too young.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh, Nathan can slap! He just chooses not to use pyrotechnics in his approach. He is a very tasteful player. Check out the tune '101 Eastbound' on the 'Fourplay' cd. Very simple slap line in theory and in listening to it but try playing it exactly. There is also another really funky slap line on a tune on Fourplay's last cd (the title escapes me). The man can flat out play. Check out the tune, 'Chant'. Another very simple but groovin' slap line and he sings and plays it at the same time. I have the DVD to prove it! :D
  12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Nathan is a great player. Very tasteful.
  13. ArnoldoAC

Aug 23, 2003
    That's true.

Perhaps he doesn't have the chops of say a bill dickens, v. wooten, matt garrison, but HE CAN PLAY. He just doesn't play chops for the sake of it. EVery note he plays says something and is very well chosen, very tasteful. He just doesn't play notes without meaning, just for showing off. In studio he plays what the song needs. But when playing live, both with clapton/fourplay, etc., he plays different every day. He does improvise a lot in the moment and makes very tasteful arrangements and he has very tasteful licks as well. He just nails it when finding the point when you have to have presence and make a difference but WITHOUT oversaturating.

14. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Happy to see a Nathan East thread. He is so tasteful. Pickup Claptons last double live album and listen to the tastelful stuff he does.

Thanks for starting this Nathan thread. Glad to see there are others who appreciate this players style and talent.
  15. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    i just picked up a fourplay dvd (not sure which one.. its got 101 eastbound).. and man hes incredible. i must agree with everyone here he's very tasteful. his lines stand out and hold their own while adding just that much to the piece.. very nice
  16. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I first found out about Nathan in Fourplay. Then I found this Phil Collins disc at home ("In the Light", maybe?) and I was really surprised to see his name in the credits. He's good at it all. :cool:
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check out Joe Satriani's "Joe Satriani." He's on that one too, and pretty exposed.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I recently picked up George Harrison's Live In Japan 2-cd set...w/ East, Clapton, et al.
  19. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    the 1st time I heard Nathan was actually in late 79 when he was on tour with Hubert Laws (Ronnie Laws'brother)as a matter fact if you can find it check him out on Hubert Laws "live.He really does get to strecth on this lp with a couple of well phrase solos
    Later on around 1980 or 81 he was with a group by the name of Madagascar were he displayed some real nice funk chops btw Gerald Albright who is also on this lp by most who know him as a tremendous sax player also played bass on this lp. ( he also toured with Patrice Rushen as her bass player also)
  20. There was an interview with Nathan East in the now defunct Bassist magazine (merged with Guitarist, published by Future Publishing if anyone wants to try and track it down).

One of the comments made by the interviewer was that during the rehearsal, Nathan was playing a good tight bass line while he was holding a conversation with one of the band!

He's good.