Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nathan East

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by alexssandro, Oct 31, 2001.

1. I came across his name and I realized that even though I've seen him on TV playing with Eric Clapton, I've seen him in lots of ads, he's a big-time studio bassist, and he has a signature bass by Yamaha, I wouldn't be able to recall a Nathan East bassline if my life depended on it.

I have no doubt that the man is a really good musician. I know he is very well respected in the bass and music community and I'm sure that he is about as professional as can be.

I'd like to know if there's anything he played on that's like, "Ohhh, that was Nathan East playing on that tune???" Also, has anyone heard him just go off and really play his rear-end off? Just curious.

2. There is some pretty good footage of him on Clapton's 24 Nights video. 1 spot in particular where he does some jazzy sounding stuff, but I don't recall which song.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Go out and get the albums by Foreplay.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    East does some *great* playing with Al Jarreau(mid '80s...High Crime + a LIVE album) & The Manhatten Transfer(I'm thinking "Mystery" from Bodies & Souls). Tell ya what, back in the mid-80s or so, it hadda be East on most R&B/Pop sessions(seemed he took all of the "semi-retired" Chuck Rainey's gigs).

Too, all those 'easy' Jazz Fusion records on GRP with Lee Ritenour(e.g. Portrait).

As far as Pop goes, I'd bet you've heard "Easy Lover"(Collins/Bailey) & "Change The World"(Clapton/Babyface).

5. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Speaking of "Easy Lover", I happened to catch one of those "Storytellers" type shows featuring Phil Collins a while ago. Not only does Nathan East provide excellent bass lines throughout, on that particular song, he sang all the Phillip Bailey harmony vocals.
    Incredible.

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Nathan also happens to have a writing credit for that song, alongside Collins and Bailey.

So much for the idea that bassists can't write... :D

The man rocks my world. Check out his work on Joe Satriani's "Joe Satriani" CD.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not that I want to spoil anybody's fun!! ;) But shouldn't that be "Fourplay" ?

Try this link :

http://www.fourplayjazz.com/natehome.htm

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Two other Pop tunes with East that I forgot about-
    "Footloose"-Kenny Loggins
    (1/8th note Rock that can be a nice little workout; the doublestops remind me of Chuck Rainey)

"Would I Lie To You"-The Eurhythmics
    (another 1/8th note Rocker; I like WHERE East begins the various "climbs"...they ain't on ONE!). ;)

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    posted by Bruce Lindfield
    I swear, there were nothing but innocent thoughts in my mind when I posted that. I'm as innocent as a cherub, damn you!!:D

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nathan's not a stunner, he's just about perfect for what he does... provide excellent bass work for prime time artists. His work with David Benoit is nice... not flashy, great tone and time, as usual.

There's a reason he gets those gigs:D

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im not sure if Nathan played on the entire cd or just the one track, but he did the bass work for Savage Garden's Truly Madly Deeply

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm so glad to see that so many of us appreciate Nathan East. As much as I like Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, and Jaco, it's guys like Nathan East, Verdine White, Bobby Watts (Rufus) and the guy with Incognito (Julian Crumpton?) that play the lines that I most enjoy playing. Steady, creative, super deep in the pocket groovemeisters.

Peace,

James

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Bobby Watson is one of my favorites. In addition to the Rufus stuff he worked with Quincy Jones on some of Michael Jacksons stuff, along with Loius Johnson.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Randy Hope Taylor also played for Incognito. Paul Denman (Sade) is also one of my bass heroes.

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I finally remember Julian Crumpton and then botch Bobby Watson!!! And I just saw him with Rufus about a month ago. Opened for Earth Wind and Fire. I was in old school heaven. And how could I forget Louis Johnson, who is most responsible for me pickin' up a bass in the first place. Thanx for joggin' the memory banks Brad.

Peace,

James

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    How was the Rufus show? I'd love to see that.

BTW (hate to do it;)) it's "Crampton". He doesn't get as much credit as Randy H-T, who IMO has one of the best recorded tones around.

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    DOOOH!!! :eek:

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    He and Randy also plays with Basia.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I just read that Nathen did bass lines on Nsync's cd as well.