nathan east

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mclaud, Feb 5, 2003.

1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon

Does anyone knows what's the current rig of nathan east.. this man has the bes tone i ever eard..
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nathan plays a number of different Yamaha basses, including his signature model and a couple customs. He usually plays through Eden amps and cabs although, for some bizarre reason, he's playing through Trace stuff on a Fourplay DVD I have. He also reputedly uses his signature Yamaha NE-1 EQ box, but apparently not always. The new BBeast II has it built in.

As far as I can tell, he scoops his mids quite a bit, which the NE-1 is designed for. I've tried to get his tone through all of my basses, and I can get pretty close, but the first time I got it right on was when I played a Yamaha BB bass through an Eden rig at GC. I concluded that the Yamaha is fundamental to his tone.
  3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    He just recently started using Accugroove cabs.
  4. He is also an endorser of Avalon, the quoted from Avalon's website:

Nathan East

"It’s not every day that a piece of gear comes along that raises the standards like the Avalon gear does! My VT-737SP flies like a 737 and Avalon has taken my sound to the next level. I have used it on numerous million selling records including the latest releases from Babyface, TLC, Boyz to Men, and on projects as diverse as Fourplay, Kenny G, Savage Garden and Madonna. The folks at Avalon continue to develop what I consider to be the highest quality equipment and are truly defining the State-of-the-Art. As we all continue to grow in our respective fields, it’s great to be a part of a team that can absolutely handle the demands of the industry raising the bar to new heights. I am proud to be a member of the Avalon team or should I say, the “A” team!"

Nathan is a sought after musician having worked with, and along side, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Whitney Houston, Elton John, Michael Jackson...

I think I read that he uses the U5 DI live with Clapton and others. I use a U5 (BEST DI there is PERIOD!!!) in my own rig and I know it adds a definite improvement in my own sound. I can only imagine that it would account, in some way for his as well.
  5. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Nathan is also using the Aguilar DB 750 bass head to power his AccuGroove El Whappo cabinets.

6. Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Mark is Nathan using two El Whappos for his live performances both driven by the 750?
  7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers

Nathan used one El Whappo for his last Fourplay tour with the Aguilar DB 750. (Great head) He hasn't said anything about needing two cabinets at this point.

(Just to make sure no one thinks I'm spamming: Yes, I'm a cabinet manufacturer. One who happens to be answering another bass player’s question)