Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nathan East?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ulf_kurt, Dec 6, 2000.

1. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Hi there! I've heard that the DVD "Eric Clapton - In concert" is great when it comes to the bassplaying. Anyone seen it and would recommend it.

Actually, I'll probably buy it anyway, cause I'm a big clapton fan. :) But i still want to know.The Unplugged-dvd wasn't that good, when it came to bringing the bass through i think. Is there a difference with this one?

cheers Ulf/

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Haven't seen "In Concert," but "24 Nights" has some terrific playing by East. For a bassist, he actually gets some good screen time!

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    On unplugged Nathan played URB and ABG. Acoustic Bass Guitar just doesn't cut it, little instrument, little thump.
    Nathan always looks like he's having fun, I like his playing and Clapton has used him on a lot of stuff.

4. Harry

Harry

Dec 12, 2000
    I had the unfortunate luck to be the bass player to replace Nathan in the Crawford high-school jazz band here in San Diego when he graduated. Tell me that doesn't suck!

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Those size 22 boots musta been a bit tough to fill :eek:. I'da felt like a little kid wearing daddy's boots myself, although I'm pretty certain you aquitted yourself admirably, Sir Harry :).

I had to cop Nate's stuff from "Change The World" for my previous gig.

:Firemarshal Bill ON:
    "Let me tell ya somethin'"
    :Firemarshal Bill OFF:

That was both a major challange and a greatly appreciated education. Nathan East is a monster, and so few of us seem to be aware of it.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I followed Nathan East religiously in the '80s(he seemed to be the heir-apparent to all Chuck Rainey's gigs...Rainey is/was a MAJOR influence on me).
    Lately, though...I dunno, the SMMMOOOOTH Jazz gigs that East is doin' these days(ie Fourplay)is 180 degrees out of what I'm listening to, checking out, trying to be about, blah.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm an East fan too, but I agree Jim, the smooooth stuff can make operating heavy equipment quite dangerous.