Nathan Watts/Athony Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hands5, Jan 21, 2003.

1. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    for all the groovasaurus's thats out there i.e Victor Wooten,Marcus Miller,Will Lee and so-on and so-on,there are 2 bassists in my mind that does not get enough credit for what they do and for what they dont do which is slapp'.Nathan Watts throws down some serious overhand work with Stevie Wonder and other Motown artist.But,mostly check him out on most of Stevie's stuff.Athony Jackson to me,is the ultimate "groovzilla' from is early work with "eyewitness,Chaka Khan,Grp allstars 'live in japan'(on dvd)and his mind blowin work with Al Dimeola,and Michel Camillio will leave u-speechless.
  2. I have to agree, after buying CALLE 54, which in all it's entirety is great, but the one cut that the Michel Camilo Trio plays...Camilo and Jackson are trading some amazingly fast and tasteful lines.
    Anthony Jackson has been laying down some outstandingly tasteful lines for 30 or so years....
    Plus, he's periodically given some great interviews.
  3. I agree totally. AJ is the pinnacle of bass playing to me.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Listen to the playing on "I Wish"! Nathan Watts is a sick, sick human being!
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Same here, Marty. If there was one guy I'd want to emulate, it's him.
  6. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Just picked up Lee Ritenour & Friends Live from the Cocoanut Grove DVD today. Although there is a heavy dose of cheese/smooth jazz going on (almost tough to sit through), There is some great Anthony Jackson playing. And a decent amount of screen time for him, too.

Also, check out Michel Petrucciani cd's for more great AJ playing. There is a live from Tokyo trio disc w/Steve Gadd, and a bigger band disc called
    Both Worlds. Awesome.
  7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    yup, nathan watts rules... as does stevie's left hand!!! ;)

...and anthony jackson as in Headhunters?!

yep, he's a genius too... the opening track on the headhunters album thrust... :) - damned nice.
  8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    ha, nope, that's paul jackson i'm on about.. dont mind me :rolleyes:
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, yeah, and that first tune on Thrust is called Palm Grease. It's real funky.
  10. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Two quick questions for my fellow Anthony Jackson fans:

1) Are the Eyewitness CDs OOP? I have not any luck finding them here in the UK.

2) Did AJ ever play live with Chaka Khan? There is a Chaka Khan concert on satellite TV early next week, from the early '80s when she was just breaking big. I hope that AJ's on it.
  11. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sorry but what I've heard of Anthony Jackson has been very dissapoitning ... I checked out that CD wiuth Steve Gadd and Micheal Petrucciani liove in Tokyo .. I wasn't really fond of AJ's playing or tone.
    In fact, IMO he really sounds like an electric bassist trying to swing but failing.

Maybe I've missed out on the great stuff he's played ... but so far I consider him to be a quite overrated bass player...

12. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just watched that Chaka Khan concert I mentioned. (The Roxy, LA, 1981). Yes, AJ was in the band, but we didn't get a single shot of him! :( He was tucked as far back on the stage as you could get (between the keyboardists' amps, and the drum stand) and was hidden behind a sheet music stand.

Good show though: 'We Can Work It Out', 'I Know You I Love You', 'Any Old Sunday', 'Watcha Gonna Do For Me?', 'I'm Every Woman'.

Not a bad band either: AJ on bass, Steve Ferrone on drums, the Brecker Bros (!) on horns, Hamish Stuart (!) on guitar, as well as two keyboardists, a second guitar and percussion.

I'll also repeat my request for any info on the availability of the Eyewitness discs. I'm going to be in New York City for the last week of Feb, so I'm going hunting then.

13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    1) Sadly, I think so. I've been looking for a CD of "Public Access" and can't find one anywhere.

2) Yes.
  14. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I'd put Paul Jackson (Headhunters) ahead of Anthony Jackson. Listen to the live Headhunters "Flood" cd to hear the real deal circs 1975 when j-bass and Acoustic Blue ruled the roost!

I do have Calle 54 DVD and do enjoy AJ w/ Michel Camilo--he is one homely looking dude though, wasn't sure at first if that was a chick or a dude, not that it matters. The drummer on that cut was awesome as well.
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Timing is everything.
    While surfing thru Tower last week-
    They had this listed as "OOP, Low Quantities".
    I just mas.
    How does it get worse? It was like $5.99

I have Eyewitness & Casa Loco on LP & cd...I also have Blades, a LIVE recording of the Eyewitness band on LP(never made it to cd in the US).
    Steve Khan is one of my favourite guitar-types/musicians. IMO, all of his stuff is enjoyable.
    It's a damn shame these albums aren't available!
    Let's Call This-Khan + Ron Carter/Al Foster
    Headline-Khan + Carter/Foster or Anthony Jackson/Dennis Chambers
    Crossings-Khan + Jackson/Chambers + Mike Brecker
    Got My Mental-Khan + Patitucci/DeJohnette
    ...this one is still available; there is even a copy sitting here in one of our local stores. Good pickup if you can get it. JP plays URB throughout this album.

Khan's early albums, like The Blue Man, are nice, too. Many '70s Fusion studio cats are onboard. just dawned on me.
    Jackson is very well known for his association with-
    Steve Khan
    Chaka Khan
    (Jackson took Pop bass up a notch with Chaka!).

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have a couple of Steve Khan cd's (Crossings, Public Access) w/AJ on bass. If you really want to hear Anthony do his shyt, check him out on the band Metro's first cd. Featuring Chuck Loeb-Guitars, Mitchel Forman-Keys and Wolfgang Hafner-Drums. Since most of that Steve Khan stuff is OOP, if you send me a blank cd and a pre-paid return postage envelope, I'll make copies for any interested. E-mail me at

Peace ;)
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh, and don't forget 'Money Money Money Money' by the O'Jays. He played that famous bassline with a pick!
  18. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I've seen that one. There is that cool duet with AJ and Lee. I must agree with you about the cheese part though...
  19. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Watts is the bomb! listen to Stevie wonders cuts like "do Ido" and "sir duke" also he plays some real tasty stuff on "these three words" a slow groove with SWEET BASSLINES!:cool: