1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nathan Watts "Do I Do" Transcription

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 9, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The latest Bass Player features a complete (287 bar) transcription of Nathan Watts bassline for Stevie Wonder's "Do I Do." Has anyone played it all the way through yet?

My teacher suggests that we work it out. I know "Do I Do" from jamming alongwith it over the years. Learning it note for note should be a great eye opener.:bassist:

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Love that line- learned it by ear a few years ago. If you don't have a problem with the legal and moral problems, please scan and post it here.

3. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The thing that pisses me off is that the transcription is written in B, but the fingeringers are in "C" because of the Eb tuning. Sight reading the line isn't really gonna be feasible in my opinion.

They did that a while ago with Bobby Watson's "Rock with You" bass line.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Couple months ago(?), someone posted a link with some cool transcriptions. "Do I Do" was among those on thta site...and it looked very similar to BP's transcription.

Cannot recall the site/link...after I get home, I can check (if I remember). ;)

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I remember reading the interview a few years ago where Nathan Watts explained how he tuned down a semi-tone for all the things he did with Stevie Wonder and it all made a lot more sense!

So - you can hear how he uses open strings to bounce off of line - a bit like Jamerson - and this helps you get the feeling of lines and to change positions smoothly and fluidly, rather than scrabbling about!

"Do I do" - is remarkable for how smooth the line is and I think this is due in big part to extensive use of open strings - it's much harder to get that fluid feel, with closed positions.

The other thing Nate explained was how tuning down his Musicman and adding a slight amount of overdrive, gave that distinctive sound on that line. So the whole approach is what makes the bass line do distinctive and so good! :)

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I never took stock...but it seemed as though a lot of Wonder's tunes are in a flat/sharp key. I'm just assuming the black keys are a better roadmap for someone who cannot see.

...and the endurance. I still haven't forgotten the time one of our best local Top-40 bands did the 10+ version. This was 20+ years ago. The drummer sang it...close your eyes & you woulda sworn it was Stevie...the bassist (known for playing Music Man Sting Rays) just killed it, too.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I can see how "finding your place" would make more sense in keys where you have a sprinkling of black keys!

I remember doing a workshop with a great Jazz singer/pianist and he had transcribed the whole of "Do I Do" and many other Stevie tunes - he explained however, that the "bridge" deliberately moves through different keys so that Stevie can do those "glissandos" on the piano using all the white notes!! Then it comes back to the original flat key for the groove again! ;)

9. I doubt favouring black keys have much to do with the lack of sight. Keys like Eb and Bb are long-favored for horn players. The majority of the non-classically trained gospel cats I know in this city favor keys like Eb and hate keys like G... Why? Maybe a traditional thing? I don't know. I do play some keys and I can tell you that in general, keys like Db are just more comfortable to sit on than C... the shapes of extended chords are more "natural"... if that makes any sense.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, I know.
    I was just thinking as someone who is legally-blind without my contacts or glasses.

11. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Also Eb has a certain quality to than E. I know he wasn't thinking guitar, but many guitar based guys drop to Eb to help sing easier as well.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I hate those guys...I played with one briefly in an "originals" band, I made sure every groove I came up with was in my "E", too. ;)

13. i love big nate.
    natural wonder version of do i do has a fat bass mix live. its a lil slower tempo but still grooves for this long hot texas summer. i think ill learn it and then post here. definitely hear the sustain and low end here. its amazing how ive heard this song at various tempos and nate makes it swing with little variations on it.

nice props for marcus by big nate in this youtube video...

and finally for do i do he mentions his 79 sting ray tuned down half step no effects... which in itself is amazing. sounds so dirty.

Nate has given us a wonderful body of work to absorb and in my bass tree he is a direct decendant of jamerson and rainey.

14. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Any one know the difference between the Do I Do versions that are recorded? I want to download the song for this transcription on the thread here. However, on itunes there's a 10 minute version and a @5 min version available. The 10 min version requires you to buy the "whole album only" if you want the song. Which one do I need? Dont say 10 min version.

15. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    yep, the 10-minute album-only version on itunes is indeed what you need for this one...it's worth it though, the extended version is beautiful and nate gets a lot of playing time in

16. bassist502

bassist502

Aug 3, 2010
    AH SOME SONG!!

17. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    I like it. great choice of songs transcribed

18. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Do I Do is just such a classic and so fun to play! I would love to learn it note for note...I improv thru it whan we play it now. For the chorus run...'Do I Do' da da da da da da da da da da da da da da, what position do u guys play it in? I play it in 2 different positions and I'm still unsure which one I prefer.

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Played it tonight for a festival. Amazing to see a thousand Japanese people singing along, word for word...