1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nathan Watts in Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    A very nice write up one him, and it's been long over due. Talks about how he got the start for playing with Stevie Wonder, the time he froze up on stage playing a song by Stevie that he called out, but Nathan did not rehearse or know, but had to follow his left hand on the keyboard to pick up the bass line, etc...Very good article!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, the tune was "Contusion"...which Watts rips up on the recorded version(Songs In The Key Of Life).

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    On a tangent-
    Did you read the short article on French bassist, Francois Moutin?
    Reading that made me up two of his albums with the Moutin Reunion Quartet...very cool player, nice band, too.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

And he did it in front of 250 000 people!!

Nathan watts is an incredible player. It was about time bass player did an insterview with him!

Speaking of him, anybody ever transcribe do I do?

5. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    11 minutes of filthy funk - that would be a labour of love for someone.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I started a thread a while ago about how at Jazz Summerschool, one of the tutors - pro Jazz Pianist/Singer/Educator Pete Churchill - went through some charts he had written.

One of the tunes was "Do I Do" and he had written out complete parts for the whole band - keyboards, horns, guitar, drums and bass.

It was the most amazing chart I have ever seen - loads of pieces of paper stuck together, to give a complete transcribed bass line - it looks horrendous written out - 16th notes everwhere and loads of key changes !!

But we went through it and he explained how he used it as a kind of teaching aid to show how a lot of music is much better explained orally - through singing etc. - rather than as written parts!! :)

But it was amazing to look at - it made me glad I've never been give an part like that on a gig!! ;)

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    One of the most entertaining aspects of the interview is how Watts refers to Stevie Wonder as "Steve." Cool, or WHAT??!

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I was thinking about doing it, maybe a few bars a week. It would take 2 or 3 years but that would be a long time project!

9. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Did you also read the part about when he went to audition for Stevie, there were other bass players there " (in his opinion)" that were more advanced players than he was, but he picked up the parts faster to what stevie was playing so Stevie gave him the job:hyper: :hyper:

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One of the best cover bands this area ever had did the tune(all of it) back in the day...the drummer could sing just like "Steve" ;) , the bassist played a MM StingRay very loud & very well(still does).
    Didn't know Watts played a MM on "Do I Do" until this interview.

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Yep !.Also he played it when I saw him with Stevie in 86 and also in concert on a HBO special that I saw a couple of years later