1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

National brand Fender almost-copy bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hublocker, Jul 22, 2008.

1. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    Saw this ad recently.

Is the story fact or fiction?

This bass guitar is one of those great hidden finds. The brand label says National but originally I thought it was made by Fender during the period in the 70's when other companies were entering the market but were getting Fender to make the actual guitars.

Then after I posted this listing some very knowledgeable bass experts wrote me with further details and here is what one of them said:

“The bass is not a Fender. National was a company that manufactured Lawsuit copies in Japan in the late 70s to early 80s. True lawsuit era pieces, of which your bass is a good example, are quite collectible in their own right now. Lawsuit pieces are worth more based mostly on quality, condition, and accuracy. Your bass seems to have all three going for it except for accuracy; you'll notice that the pickup is a telecaster variant not found on any genuine Fender. The burst is also a little off. The headstock is correct though, which is a big selling point. $325 is a very good price and you could probably get a little more based on the excellent condition it's in.”

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021