1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

National combo bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dieseldan, Nov 16, 2010.

1. dieseldan

dieseldan

Nov 14, 2010
    Maryland
    Hello,
    I have a little combo bass amp here that I can find little information about on the internet. Maybe someone on here knows more about it? It is a "National" brand practice amp with a solid state output of 44 watts, as stated on the back. Ring any bells?
    P.S.: This is my first post.

Attached Files:

2. dieseldan

dieseldan

Nov 14, 2010
    Maryland
    One more picture.

Attached Files:

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Hi. National tube amps are in high demand by harp and guitar players. Your SS bass amp, while rare, isn't as desireable. I don't know anything about your amp, but it is likely not a suitable bass amp by '60s standards. If you want to sell it try ebay, you never know, it looks like it's it mint condition. If you want to play bass through it keep the volume low to preserve the speaker.

4. dieseldan

dieseldan

Nov 14, 2010
    Maryland
    Playing bass through it will damage the speaker even though it is a bass amp?

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    There's a good chance it would. Most bass speakers from that era weren't too sporty and blown speakers weren't unusual, especially in econo amps. Do you have a pic of the speaker or know what it is...any numbers on the frame? It's looks like it has a silver dust cover. That's not a JBL or Altec, is it?

6. dieseldan

dieseldan

Nov 14, 2010
    Maryland
    The back of the speaker says:
    FC-300-03
    8 ohm
    93A​

7. dieseldan

dieseldan

Nov 14, 2010
    Maryland
    Speaker picture.

Attached Files:

8. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    A cool amp certainly in my books, but its usefulness is pretty much limited to low level bedroom jamming, and sitting stacked on top of other amps similar to it... trust me, i have stuff just like it in my own room.

9. dieseldan

dieseldan

Nov 14, 2010
    Maryland
    The bedroom jamming has already begun. :bassist:

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I have no clue who made that speaker. I was guessing it might be a CTS, Utah or Eminence with that dust cover, but it isn't. Use your ears; if it sounds like you're pushing it too hard back off a bit and you'll be fine. It is a cool amp. Is it made in Japan?

11. dieseldan

dieseldan

Nov 14, 2010
    Maryland
    Speaker, amp and cab were made in japan.

12. Looks like a De-humidifier ;)

13. dieseldan

dieseldan

Nov 14, 2010
    Maryland
    It's actually an oven, for cooking tunes :bag: