Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

National Do Not Call Registry

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    https://www.donotcall.gov

Word has it, cellular providers are going to begin publishing cell phone numbers much like home phone numbers, so that would open us up to telemarketers. Register your phone numbers on the Do Not Call registry, and telemarketers can't call you, unless they want to pay a hefty fine. The registry is ran by the FTC, so it is legit. Telemarketers are required to search the registry every 31 days and delete from their call lists phone numbers that are in the registry, so after a month, many of your telemarketing concerns should be taken care of :)

2. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I added my phone number. That would really piss me off if they called by cell phone.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i still get calls to my house, and signed up the first time around.

4. This is a hoax. (the cellphone one)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They are coming out with a cell phone registry (although it won't be in "phone book" form...it'll be electronic) but you'll have to voluntarily put your number in it. Yeah right...who's gonna do that?!

brad cook

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    we signed on the registry when it came out, and the sales calls have definitely stopped.
    Lately we've been getting lots of charity calls though, mostly police/fireman/vet-related. They say the list doesn't pertain to them. They agree to take us off their list though, but then we get another call a few days later from the same # saying it's a different org.
    Anybody else getting this?

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Mark,

I've heard that some of those police and fireman organizations are independent for profit companies though so I guess it would depend.

brad cook

8. That is all a hoax. There was a big story about it on the national news a few weeks ago. Cell phone numbers will NOT be put out in a phone book-type thing, and there is NO time limits on how soon you can sign up for the DNCR.

For once, watching the news helped!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

9. avoid the charities man.. my first telemarketing job was selling ads for a fireman's calendar that didn't exist. we claimed all this distribution, exposure, yadda yadda, however we were NEVER able to send anyone a copy of a past issue so they could see what they were paying for. "we are out of stock" or "we are in a reprint right now, we're fresh out".... crap like that. i lasted 2 weeks and was disgusted that i was taking people's money. just takin it. :scowl: ... ok hijack over.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've been curious about it, we had donated in the past, and then all the sudden it was like every charity smelled blood (bought the # list is more like it) and homed in for the kill. They claim to be local chapters of the 'so-and-so...' but I've been told they most likely are not. I'm not sure how to find out if it's for real or not. I'd sure like to stop the calls.

11. you know, the place i was at was making over a hundred grand a week in stolen cash. it was disgusting. to be sure if it's real ask if you can verify their info with the better bizness bureau and CALL THEM BACK to donate. some of these not for profit group change names and causes after they reach a dollar amount or if it's getting shady. the place i was at sold (stole money for the process of not making) a fireman's calendar, some fake Police stuff... made me sick.

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I got a phone solicitor on my cell phone today. He left a voice mail saying that I won a vacation or something.

13. See, I kinda like getting those calls, cause it's so much fun to mess with them.

Letting them wait for 2 or 3 minutes while you "find" the person they called for, or telling long distance soliciters that you don't have a phone, things like that. Gets a great laugh afterward.

Rock on
    Eric

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    hehe, something to look forward to now.
    How much you wanna bet I don't get any calls anymore?