1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

National Orchestral Institute

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by A Spotless Mind, Nov 7, 2010.

1. A Spotless Mind

A Spotless Mind

Aug 18, 2009
    Thinking about auditioning for this summer. Has anyone participated in the past? What's it like? Is it worth my time? Any info about it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dbass926

Dbass926

Jun 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    NOI was one of the best times of my life. It's full of educational opportunities, cool master classes and seminars, and the orchestra is phenomenal. The year I went, Ali Yazdanfar, Tony Manzo, Tim Cobb, and Owen Lee were all coaches, and each one had a totally different way of approaching the orchestral experience. Not only that, but the unconducted orchestras are a really intense way to learn how to listen and work in an orchestra, and there are several chances for leadership and extra performance.
    The one drawback is the food, which is basically a month of McDonalds and Sbarro. At first it's indulgent, but it quickly turns into desperate farting and the whole orchestra by the last week kinda learns to fart in unison during rehearsals.

3. Dbass - you are correct about the food...and beware that starting this past summer they no longer give you a meal card and you are required to purchase your own food. This is almost a better deal because you could bring a fridge and just stock up at a grocery store instead of Sbar-fil-a. I'd recommend it for sure. Coaches are fantastic and summer 2011 is shaping to have an awesome faculty and program. Mahler 1 is on one of the concerts.

4. Alvasin

Alvasin Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    For three weeks, the National Orchestral Institute at the University of Maryland brought together some excellent young musicians on the brink of professional careers, gave them some intensive training and formed them into an orchestra that was temporary but deserving of a longer existence. In a free concert Saturday night in the university's Tawes Recital Hall, students from the Institute showed what they can do in chamber orchestra repertoire that gave each player a high degree of exposure.