Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

National Park pics- SHOW EM!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, Apr 8, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Since I just made reservations at Yosemite, I thought I might share a few pics from my last trip there. Hope to see some nice ones!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I am biting my lip or something right there.

[​IMG]
    rockin the thumbs up!

2. this isn't a national park, but it is a pic of the appalatian mountain range as seen from the top of the hills of my campus.

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Nice pic!

4. Thanks! I have some more i took that same afternoon too.

I'm using a Sony DSC-P71 3.2 megapixel digi cam.

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

I need a REAL camera. I currently use the cheapest throw-away i can find ;)

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    [Awesome shot from Kings canyon national park]

sorry, that's as good as I have, I don't have any backpacking pictures online.

7. For artistic pictures, its not the camera you use, but the man/woman behind it. ;)

8. Hey, nice pics.

PS: Nick, I was actually considering going to college at UMass, Amherst. I applied and got accepted! I'm not going to go there, but yeah!

9. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Come on man, where are your pics from Yosemite?

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Big sur, not backpacking, just lazy camping. I was reading 'the blind watchmaker'

[​IMG]

11. Too bad, good luck wherever you chose to go. I personally love it here.

12. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    HA! THough this was gone? Think again.

[​IMG]

That is me climbing up to the top of Vernal Falls. Anyone who has done it can tell you that it is pretty exhausting.

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I backpacked around the 120 mile Wonderland trail in Mt. Rainier National park a few years back.

I have hundreds of pics, but I'm an artist so I'll just show one of my paintings from the trip. This is a part of Mt. Rainier National Park called "Summerland". I did it in more of a panoramic view, whereas if you were standing in the middle of this field of wildflowers, you'd have to look way up to see the peak. I still plan on doing another painting of this but one that is like 6 feet high, to really show the enormous monolith of Emmons glacier that would be "in your face", instead of seemingly way off in the distance as in this painting.

The images aren't too clear in this format. The full size of the painting (the seond image) is 16" X 48" which doesn't translate too well into a little 600 X 199 pixels jpeg. The first image is a detail of the center section...but in this format is way too blurry to do it any justice.

14. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Very nice paintings! Can you upload a few of your pictures from the trip as well?

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    awesome! I miss backpacking, I plan to do a couple trips this summer, No plans yet but I want to revist some places I've been, around kings canyon and john muir national. Maybe we'll do Mt. Whitney, since last time I went we got set back a day and couldn't do Whitney.

nice paintings btw!

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks.

Yeah, I can upload a few...I've got tons of them. I must have shot 20 rolls of film on that trip alone.

Sadly none of them have me in them...as I had the camera and the only ones with anyone in them are of my friend. He had a video camera, so I never got any of me in them.

Mt. Rainier is really one of a kind. Lush, temperate rainforests and icy glaciers and everything in between. I got chased by Rocky Mt. goats...stood in the clouds like an angel...and every day was better than the day before.

I lost 17 pounds on that hike. 120 miles over ten days. We got backcountry permits and lived in the wilderness. Meteor showers were awesome and we slept out under the stars most nights.

Most of my pics are on my wife's computer at home, so I'll have to get them on my laptop.

17. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Wow, I really envy you. I really want to go backpacking (WR has brainwashed me that it is great ((if that makes sense)))

18. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    There is nothing better than being in a beautiful wilderness area...unless you are in a beautiful wilderness area with a woman you love.

Then again, if you live out there for a week and you are alone...you'll be in love with the first woman you meet. :D

Seriously, it is a religious experience. Makes you forget the stupid problems we think we have.

If you do the wonderland trail at Mt. Rainier, be prepared for an arduous journey. Nothing will get you in shape better than that hike. I met some people from Switzerland that came to America just to do that hike.

There is also the option of climbing to the peak...but that is completely different. There are alot of people who climb Mt. Rainier to train for Everest. The biggest mountain climbing accident ever happened on Mt. Rainier. 13 people at one time, died trying to climb it. They fell into a huge crevasse in Emmons glacier. If the weather cooperates (and Rainier's peak creates it's own weather), some days it's a simple hike to the peak (relatively speaking).

I met a guy who only made it 3/4 of the way and they had to turn back. It was sunny where I was but up above where he was, it was a driving snowstorm with rocks, snow and ice being driven by the wind sideways. This was in August! On one part of the trail we were sitting on a snowfield (about 70 degrees out) and thinking how if it were in January, we'd be under 120 feet of snow. Weird feeling.

Mt. Rainier is a volcano. If that baby blows, Washington would be wiped out. Mt. St. Helens wiped out alot and it wasn't even 1/3 the size. There was one point where we were hiking and there was no grass, no animal life and dead silent. It was all snow and Mt. St. Helens ash all around and it felt like we were on the moon it was so desolate.

I'll try to find my pics. I've got some awesome shots.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's the thing about backpacking, it's hard, it's strenuous, it's painful...etc.

but it's so satisfyingly rewarding in the end. It's such a grand feeling after you finish your trek, looking back on the trail and appreciating your accomplishment.

Not to mention the sense of awe that you get while camping in the wilderness.

It's all in all, a very cool, very rewarding experience, despite 20 mile hikes in the heat with 50 pounds on your back. The way I see it, the more work you put in, the more satisfaction you get in the end.

Even my failed whitney trip was awesome, and we hated it! :D