Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

national symphony

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by bassist3421, May 22, 2005.

1. bassist3421

bassist3421

May 16, 2005
    when is it?

2. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    The audition is on June 11. Better get crackin!!

3. bassist3421

bassist3421

May 16, 2005
    any word on todays events?

4. Ira Gold (Boston university/Rice University)
    Bert Witzel (Curtis Institute/Principal Louisville Orchestra)
    I think....Ryan Kamm (Indiana University/Boston University/Nashville Syphony)
    and I did not know who won and I am not sure about the fourth Finalists....if anyone else knows anything????

5. I heard Ira won a position and they didn't fill the other... Bert or Ryan sure could fill the spot, though... I've yet to hear back from the Personnel Mgr. for "official" word

6. Ohh, friends, at least this fine institution has fair auditions, albeit diva-style. I'm seeing an orange alert for some onstage b!*$h-slappin, though. Maybe it will wake up their maestro during a concert.

Divas unite, if that's even possible.

7. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Yes and the results were what??? Who? and why?

Now did the winner play air "horn" bass?

Pres-diddy, you da man .
    G

8. He he he...
    Well, friends, and my G-diddy friend, I do believe I could be entirely wrong, but the finalists were Ira, Mark Huang, an Ed Barker grad student, and someone else who's name escapes me now - Bert and Ryan K. were not finalists (although Bert was in the semis, not sure on Ryan's presence)

Semis were comprised of 11 fine bassists including: Bert, Matt Medlock, Jean-Etienne Lederer, Paul DeNola, Jason Schooler, John Bernstein, _______________

Mr. Gold was chosen for one position and the other spot was unfilled.

Probably the only individuals performing airhorn bass were in the prelims and quickly removed since that fine NSO insitution alllows anyone with a bass to audition.

9. i believe the last guy in national finals was a guy named colin...don't know his last name. he is a grad student at U of Maryland with Curtis Burris. i know he advanced in st. louis as well. that's all i've got.

10. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Thanchs,
    Wow, I auditioned there in the last century, 1990 I believes. Most of yous was still wearin diapers i presume. Me bein from that Curtis institute and all , they still made me send a tape. I actually made one ON BETA. It got accepted and I actually passed a round in my first audition.
    I didn't win . But the guy with the cigar was there. He didn't win no neither...
    I spent the night with my bass in union statio with the other homeless/jobless guys. I missed my train.
    (music and lyrics to Memories... kick in) fade out.

11. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Divas?

Airhorn bass?

Inquiring minds want to know...

12. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    well pete, Divas and air horn bass are products of prscottissimos world. ONe of which we all share.
    The air horn bass came about when i mentioned a bassist i knew who was an air bass expert. PSCtmo, told me about one who was an air"horn" bassist. Pun and ironic pentamiter usage of course.
    I would love to hear one though. Maybe it's my sound....
    I don't know if I should hope so or not.

13. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I guess that clears that up.