Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

National Trends & Live Venues

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chaosMK, Mar 2, 2006.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I was just nosing around the Band Management & Performance section and got an impression that music scenes in a lot of major cities are changing, or have already changed- usually in a worse or more difficult direction for bands.

When I was playing in bands in Miami, FL a few years ago (1999-2003) a lot of older venues- all of the all-ages venues for live music- had shut down and the scene had basically deteriorated pretty badly. I rememer kids renting out hotel ballrooms to arrange their own "fests." I no longer live down there, but friends tell me to get booked anywhere nowadays you basically have to be a national act.

So, what does it look like in your city? Are there flourishing scenes for original music, or are the clubs/venues shutting down or becoming less accessible for up and coming bands? How are laws/trends effecting all ages venues?

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Well, I'm not in a city by any means (small rural college town), but the all ages scene here is almost non-existant. There really aren't any venues for all ages shows at all. The bar scene is decent, but probably 60% of the money in this area is 18-20 years old. It doesn't help that my band doesn't really fit the "bar band" thing well.

We actually played an all ages show Friday night where a high school band rented out a hall, got three other bands (including us), and put on a show. Considering it's pretty much the first all ages show of the year around here, they had a damn good turn out (about 100 people). Didn't make much more over breaking even (each band got $40), but it showed me that all ages shows CAN work around here. Now we just need to find a cheaper hall to rent out.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The Bay Area, especially the City, still has a thriving scene for most acts, but the classics like Day on the Green (multi-act shows) have gone the way of the Dodo. Arena shows seem to be dead in general, unless you count the local ampitheatres. The East Bay, where I spend 99% of my time playing, is dying. Most of the decent venues have long ago passed away and new ones rarely last long. A real problem is the way in which local law enforcement are targeting the last remaining bars for DUI stings. They are even coming after the bands when they leave, which is chickens**t. It is no wonder people don't go out any more to hear live music.

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Yeah, I grew up in the East Bay (well, I got OLDER in the East Bay). I remember when iMusicast had just started and the whole L3 thing was "the thing" to go to at my high school. I'm still sad to see iMusicast go. I drove down for the Solemite/KGB/"Locals" (now the Matches) reunion show in October. Great night. I don't really know how things are going down there lately, but my friend down there who goes to pretty much EVERY hardcore/punk/metal/rock show he can seems to be going out to Tracy and Modesto a lot more lately for shows.

5. Here in Minnesota, there is a fairly good musical situation. There are clubs that support a wide variety of music. That's the good news. The bad news is that bands still make the same kind of money we made in the 70's. There are too many bands willing to play for peanuts and that lowers the rate for all of us. At least we don't have a "pay to play" situation here...yet. That, unfortunately, is only the tip of the iceberg. Increased DWI enforcement, smoking bans and things like dram shop laws (bars are responsible for the actions of their drunken patrons) as well as other entertainment options (DVD's, etc.) have both negatively impacted the amount of dollars bars take in while increasing costs; dram insurance ain't cheap these days. A lot of marginal businesses (a lot of bars) have gone under. I don't see this changing any time soon. The days of people supporting a family on the money they make as nightclub musicians is long gone here in the Twin Cities.

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Here in the midwest, I'm seeing an upswing of live music over the DJ. I can't think of a single bar in Wichita that requires an all-cover show (not that I have a lot of experience with the bar scene anyway). I mean, look into any given bar on any given night and you're likely to see at least one cover band, but also at least one original band.

A lot of indie rock acts are banding together and playing at some "alternative" venues. We've got a skatepark that's been great about supporting live music, a couple of halls that are available to rent for relatively cheap (they open the bar while bands are playing to keep rental costs low), and this new place just opened - a bar with an emphasis on being a live venue.

More and more coffeeshops and sandwich shops are opening their doors to various types/genres of music, and churches all over are buying old bars and converting them into Christian music venues.

Add to that the fact that Wichita has just legalized street musicians, and it's game on for music!