Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Natural Blonde Fetish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chasarms, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I must have a fetish for natural blondes.

Well, I just could pass this one up. I have wanted a no speed bumps sister to my much beloved Q5 for quite a long time.

This bass is very sweet. I have been tweaking with the setup for the last couple of hours and playing it most of the evening. It is by far the best playing and best sounding fretless I have ever owned.

This one has the Bart 3 band. It has most all the bottom end gut punch of my Q5, and the J style PUs throw in a little midtone grit. All with no frets. VERY nice bass indeed.

I write more if I get tired of playing. Not gonna happen tonight.

Attached Files:

2. you should check out the new warwicks the corvette hot rod and the 'bleached blonde' thumb they are made compleately from blonde woods absolutely gogeous

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  4. I've got a blonde quilt maple genesis with a maple board, great basses.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Very nice. I lika da Warwick very much.

Well this a bit of a bump since my TB brethren haven't given the love for my new fretless so far.

I played it for about five hours today at an extended rehearsal. It is all I had hoped it would be. Finally a jazz bass with some serious booty bump.

The quality and craftsmanship of this bass is on par with about anything I have ever seen. I know Modulus basses have fallen out of vogue a bit, but there's no doubt that I am on their wagon for the long haul.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Ok. So after a couple of extended rehearsals and playing one church service with the new Genesis fretless fiver, I have a couple of additional observations.

1. This is the best jazz bass B string I have ever played. Not quite the overall destructive power of my Q5, but close. I suspect what it is lacking is as much from the flatwounds as it is the bass.

2. This bass is much, much more gooey, gritty sounding than the Q5. Still tightly focused on the bottom end, but with a thicker, meatier mid and less definition in the highs.

3. The fit and finish of this bass leaves nothing to be desired. It is actually better done with more detail to the aesthetic than the Quantum. The wood of the fb is has an amazing figure and the top is almost too nice. I especially like the little detail of the dark wood veneer between the top and alder that creates a neat little pin stripe.

I am a little worried about the setup at this point. It is currently strung with what is thought to be D'Addario Chrome flats. I know they are fairly high tension, but they are pulling a fairly significant relief in the neck. Right now, I can't get the action as low as I think would be ideal. My Q5 has action that is really low and could be set lower if I wanted.

I just ordered a set of TI Jazz Flats and a set of halfrounds. Hopefully, I will have a little better luck with the setup after that.

Also, it has the 18v preamp system in it. What a PITA. I had a battery die the first day and had t come up with two. I don't get the benefit over annoyance.