1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Natural cold remedies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Somehow i managed to get sick over the weekend. Ive got a runny nose, cough, sore throat, my head feels pressurized. Although im not completely opposed to taking say, dayquil or nyquil, id like to hear what "home" remedies you guys have. I have a big gig saturday that i need to be in tip top shape for.

2. hot tea with honey and lemon

3. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    when i worked in a chinese resturant one of there ancient secrets was coke, honey, a slice of fresh ginger in a coffe cup heated up and drank....it actually worked. dont heat to boiling but just to over warm.

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Vaporized Chlorine

It is a valid cure to the common cold, it just has far worse consequences after prolonged exposure.

5. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    teaspoon of vinegar..

6. Lots of orange juice and soup, as stereotypical as that sounds. All the salt in the soup helps keep your body hydrated, and the vitamins in the OJ will help build your body's immune system back up.

7. Hot lemon tea with a splash of bourbon and honey. Think of this, alcohol kills germs, so raising your BAC should kill germs in the blood. If you forego the booze you will still experience some relief, though not as much.

You can also gargle with salt water or rub butter on it. I think.

And although it is not natural nor a remedy, you may want to wash your blanket. Dragging that thing all over creation is sure to have filled it with nasty bugs.

8. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    A big tablespoon of strong vinegar will sort it out for sure.

9. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Table spoon of honey, juice from one half of a lemon, 2 shots of canadian whiskey. Mix in a tall glass with really hot water, drink it down as fast and as hot as you can take it, then go straight to bed.

Alternatively I use NightQuil, greatest drug ever.

10. Nyquil Nyquil Nyquil we love you, you giant ****ing Q!

11. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    For the past few days my throat has been killing. Whenever drink or eat anything, it just kills. In he morning its brootal, then gets better. I've been taking buckley's and tylenol cold'n flu, but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions? I've got a Calc exam wednesday and cannot afford to miss it.

12. Gargle with salt water and then whiskey. Seriously. If you are feeling sick it isn't actually a good idea to drink (duh), so use cheap whiskey and spit it out. Seems to last longer than throat spray. And salt water will help break up any phlegm and junk that may be irritating your throat draining out of the sinuses. Taste is less than pleasant, but when you start gagging you will bring up all sorts of nasty.

13. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Wow - I didn't know Coke was THAT old.:p One thing you want to avoid when you have a cold is sugar. That means Coke, honey and orange juice are out. Sugar effectively puts one's immune system "on hold", which is not something you want. The best drink is simple water. You know what they say: "starve a fever, feed a cold". Eat lots of nutritious food (low in sugar) and, by all means, take a non-sweetened vitamin C supplement. Also keep in mind that alcohol dehydrates the body, so I would avoid any "miracle cocktails" that involve alcohol. Lastly, get as much rest as you can. Hope that helps!

14. Probably correct, but drunk and sick is easier to live with than sober and sick.

15. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Only if you like hangovers! One of the effects of being drunk is brain shrinkage. Your brain literally shrinks from being dehydrated (this is one of the reasons it's a good idea to drink lots of water following a drinking binge). Having a cold is often accompanied by dehydration, unless one is careful to re-hydrate. If you already have a cold and are dehydrated, adding alcohol to the mix is far from being the smartest idea.

16. I'm sicker than i've been in a long time.... Started out last Tuesday night as extreme mucus coming from my sinuses... Now I have one of the worst sore throats ever, tons of congestion, mucus in my head and lungs, difficulty swallowing,, etc. I stayed home from work today for the first time in ages. I'm taking tons of over the counter drugs, using Cepacol throat spray, menthol eucalyptus throat drops, rinsing out my sinuses with saline, drinking lots of orange juice and water, eating lots of soup... I started an antibiotic yesterday but i have yet to start feeling better. It just keeps getting worse. I am going through tons of tissues and paper towels. My friend is bringing me a mango a go go from Jamba Juice right now on her lunch break. Existence is hell right now....

17. Bass, you are correct again, but I am a rock star and we don't listen to things like that. To all you other poor suckers out there who get sick like normal folks, I would listen to him more than me.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Nyquil with a whiskey chaser. When you wake up do it again.

Repeat until you wake up feeling like you don't have a cold anymore. (This may take up to 10 days.)

19. Burning vapors of a certain plant. and Zyrtec. You sound like you've got allergies, too, and it is the right time of year.

Also, airborne.

20. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Juice of six lemons, add boiling water & just enough honey to take the edge off (don't make it sweet). Drink at least once a day, creates a less than welcome environment for the common cold.