1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Natural finished bass body is.. too smooth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dnp41, Oct 12, 2017.

1. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    yes, my natural finished bass body is super smooth. It just has a clear coat of poly on it, and it so smooth that it's harder to play on my lap since my forearm and belly don't keep it in place. Any advice besides a refinish to get a more sticky feel?

And I'm really not trolling, this is a real question.. and of course I used the search function..

2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    This is an issue with poly, just ask anyone with an Ibanez Musician. As to a remedy, don't know.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You can't use a strap while sitting?
    Other than that, there used to be film-like plastic guitar protectors that you could cut to fit the back of your guitar or bass to keep it from getting scratched.
    Stuck to the body like Colorforms...static cling. ori-31129.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    F4_F0_W9_XHS80_GGUS.MEDIUM.jpg Scratch_Pad-xlarge.jpg

5. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    Hammer a couple dozen small finishing nails on the back and the botom edge. Leave the heads about 1/16th of an inch sticking out. Doubt it will slide after that. Should also take care of any neck dive. :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    tlc1976 likes this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    That wide industrial velcro. One side all over the back of the bass, the other side on your shirt. No strap needed, sitting or standing!

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

What jd56hawk said!
    Use a strap while sitting.

jd56hawk likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Lefty Duke 1.JPG
    All kidding aside... my Kramer Duke has a long, narrow rubber pad on the bottom side of the body, for just this problem. It's long gone on most Dukes, but mine still has it. You can just see it in the picture, as the thin blue line on the side of the body (it's actually black). I would imagine that a small rubber pad - or something else that's fairly grippy - placed wherever the bottom of your bass rests, would do the trick. I doubt it would have to be glued onto the bass - unless you wanted to...:thumbsup: