Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

natural french speaking tb'ers, gimme a hand...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, May 14, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ok, one of my favorite composers is camille saint-saens, and i even took french for years, so i should know this, but i'm not sure, so help me out, please :)

how do you say his last name, particularly "saens"? i know how to say "saint" ;) but i'm a bit unsure on "Saens". i've always said "son" like "tant (as in "tant pis") is this right? thanks.

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I think the pronounciation would vary (a lot of French words are pronounced slightly differently here), but I'd say it would be similar to Saint.

"Camille Saint-S-AINS"

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Having had a french girlfriend and having spent a lot of time in France in my younger days, I agree about the variations and also there is the fact that some differences in French pronunciation are indistinguishable to the ears of native English speakers!! ;)

I agree with the original pronunciation - rhymes with 'tant' as an 'approximation' - but I think a native French speaker would be able to identify a subtle difference, that I couldn't enunciate!! :cool:

4. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    use a nasal sound and repeat after me,

Kami Sain Sawns

:)

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's why i asked the native french speakers :)

j'ai pris des classes en français pour 6 années dans l'ecole secondaire, mais il est été un long temps puisque je l'ai parlé.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    avec la "s" à la fin de "saens"?

merci :) j'ai pensé ainsi.

7. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Oui,trés bonne Jean(nny)

Je ne suis pas Francais,mais J'habité dans Québec...when in Rome...tu sais?

8. Mmm, pas mal! Tu te mérites une bonne bière "frette"! Pssht! Ah! :hyper:

It must be pronounced "Kah-mee-eh" or "Kah-mill" and "S'eye-Sah" or "S'eye-Sah-eh", maybe with the "S" at the end, as you said. Even though I'm French, I'm not sure about it, so I'll take a look in the dictionnary. The french "ain" syllable (as in "saint") must be pronounced nasally. That's the best I can do, or I could make a .wav file so you can actually hear it. Hope this helps!

9. Tu habites ou tu as habité au Québec? Quelle région? :cool:

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

an interesting aside, how does the pronounciation of le français québecois differ from l'origional, if at all?

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Moi, je pense que la prononciation québecoise serait un peu different que celle de la France... mais on ne sait jamais...

Saint-Saens ne me semble pas un nom tres commun au Québec... alors je ne suis pas sûr.

12. "Le Français quécécois" is less... sharp (for lack of a better word). You could compare it to US English vs. UK English, I guess. Lots of different expressions, very different accent, but then again, you have lots of different accents in different parts of France, as well as lots of different accents in different parts of Québec.

En effet, jamais entendu ou lu ce nom. C'est pourquoi je ne suis pas certain de la prononciation! :)

13. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Je suis une"squarehead"dans le ville de Mirabel.

14. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    The average Quebecer speaks very fast and very differently from a Parisien.They tend to tie together words alot more.Personally I find Paris french alot easier to understand,they articulate words clearer.

15. I must admit this is true, just like canadian english is easier to understand than australian english (to me, anyway). But the average English speaks very fast, too.

16. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Also the french Quebecer thinks the Parisien is stuck up and uses too many english terms and words in their everyday life.I won't even tell you what they think of english as a whole.Interestingly enough the Parisien considers "les Quebecois" uncultured peasants who can't speak the language at all.Language debates in Quebec...ahh such fun.

17. You see I think English people speak much slower than our continental cousins. They seem to yack at hell of a pace!

18. Well, I was talking about English-speaking people in general, especially Canadians and Americans. :) But I guess you could say the same about us, Québec AND France people.

True, but so do we, I admit. But, have you ever read a French guitar or motorcycle magazine? Nothing against French people, though.

And vice-versa. ;)

Yes, some of them do. But when they get to know one of us, they change their minds, except if they are complete idiots (the French or the Quebecer).

Well, good yor you, then!

19. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Here's a thing now... now that the PQ are (finally) out of office, will they change any of those Draconian language laws?

20. Which laws are you talking about specifically?