1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Natural JO with black blocked fretboard - interested?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspraiser, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    74.2%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Ya'll:

I would REALLY love if Lakland came out with a natural passive JO with a maple fretboard (with ebony inlays of course) and a black pick plate.....

from my understanding, we MAY have a shot if we could get 30+ orders together...not sure on pricing, but if we could get one for about the same price as a standard Skyline JO (and a little extra for the ebony inlayed neck) would you be interested?

List here if you are interested....once we get 30 dedicated people, I will contact Dan to see what can be done.....remember, only post if you seriously would spend $$$$ on one....

thanks!

PS - those of you who are wondering why there is so much "Adam Clayton" talk on here...I changed the title from "Adam Clayton Signature Model" in order to bring the thread back to what I originally want to find out......who is interested in a natural JO with a blocked board....we got way to sidetracked on the virtues of Mr. Clayton...

2. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Such an instrument with a Butterscotch finish would interest me mightily.

Jim B LOG #131

'04 JO Skyline Natural / Maple
    '95 4-94 SB / Maple

3. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Natural isn't really my thing, but I'll bump.:bassist:

4. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    :eek: ....with stacked control knobs?;)

Man....that would be sweet!....IIRC..didnt he use a USA DJ4 with black blocks?

5. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Lake Forest, CA
    Must every bass player that people hear on the radio have their own "signature" bass? </cynicism>

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure that natural/black blocked DJ is the one he's seen playing most and identified with. That should be the "sig" model.

Although I'm sure there is a JO in his collection somewhere. :smug:

7. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd be very into this idea; but...

I'm somewhat sick of signature guitars as a whole. I would love a natural, passive, black-blocked, Lakland JO... whether it had Adam Clayton's name on it or not. If it did have his name on it, I'd probably still buy it - because I liked the configuration of it... the name would have no part in it.

Like I said: if Lakland did a run of natural, passive, block-necked J-Basses... I would definitely be in line. Maybe a TB Limited Edition...? :eek: :D

8. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    as long as it comes with an autographed pic of the infamous "5th member of U2" x'ed out photo from the Achtung Baby liner photos then sure

:p

seriously though, it does seem the sig. instrument thing is getting to be a bit overdone BUT!!!! I'd consider anything from Adam, he's a true dude of the bass if there ever was one.

9. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    ummm, if you total up U2's record sales, Adam Clayton has outsold all Fodera artists combined. Not to mention, he has a style that is signature and IMO underappreciated. If you ask me, he is one of the most deserving bass players of a signature line. Please tell me that Mike Dirnt and Mark Hoppus have contributed more to MUSIC or bass playing than Adam Clayton.

(this post was written after zero consumption of alcohol ...okay after 6 shots of Jagr.)

10. i doubt it....as a fellow irishman, he tends to actually play fender more than lakland beleive it or not.

11. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    i think live for the last tour he almost played Lakland exclusively live. he does record with Fenders but I believe he's taken to using Laklands live now.

12. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    In Sunburst, yeah i would take one.

13. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Please,

let's not make this a "pro or con" Adam Clayton thread.....I am not even sure it would be classified as a "signature" bass....I just want to see if anyone would like one set up like that.......

I need to see whether he (Adam) uses a JO or a DJ...I thought it was a JO....anyways, since I already have a DJ, I would like to see this as a JO body/set up.......variety you know.....

PS - love the lively discussion regardless....

14. He does use a JO and sign me up. I have Darryl Jones and a Joe Osborn, but that idea would look sweet.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

How many years has Adam been with Lakland now ?

16. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    For me it's not Clayton but the ebony block necks!

They look even better in person!

GOLDDECADE.gif
    blackbird.jpg
    NECKS.jpg

17. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Although he often runs vintage Fender stuff, I think Clayton mostly has Lakland DJs. I know he is using a DJ in the full page Ashdown ad you often see.

This one is a clone of the "Ashdown ad" DJ of his. Natural ash/maple with black blocks and no binding. Passive VVT. I added a d-tuner. It's a killer axe -- probably the easiest-playing bass I've ever owned....

IMG_0420.jpg

18. A signature Adam Clayton bass would be great!! Would save you a fortune in strings as you'd only ever need to use the E and A strings! hahahahaha

19. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Would this bass be a USA or Skyline model (or made from Skyline parts)?

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Why not just string it E A E A, that way if you break one-no worries. :ninja:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021