1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Natural Music Guild?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icke2433, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Hey guys!
    I have a few more questions for you all, I have this old natural music guild amp that I use when i want to jam in a quiet setting. I usually use it for bass and guitar and it does both pretty darn well in my opinion. I have been wanting to take it to a tech to get checked out and eventually separate the cab from the head as it is kind of a pain to lug around.
    First of all does anyone have any idea where I could get a schematic for this oddball amp so i could take it to a tech and have him give it a good run over? I've gone to bartells website (whom I believe used to make these amps) and found nothing on my particular model.
    Second, would turning this combo into a head and cab destroy the vintage awesomeness that is my amp? I don't think it's worth very much but I would hate to be the one who destroys a diamond out of ignorance.

Attached Files:

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Wow. Google doesn't turn up anything other than Bartell and this thread.

Here's a courtesy bump.

I'd try getting ahold of a real person at Bartell to explain your situation to. And I'd hold off on breaking out the saw untill I had more info. Either that or keep this unit intact and scratchbuild a headcase for it. "Reversible mods".

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    is that a realistic speaker? have you confirmed it has the orig driver? it appears as though a dog decided it was his! if the speaker doesn't show signs of the "p" matching the grill, it's likely been replaced and there wouldn't (to me) be a point in leaving it alone, since it'll probably never have the orig driver in it, making it even less valuable than "not worth alot" vintage.
    but i'd be lying by omission if i didn't mention that i always rip into old stuff and make it my own.
    is it solid state? and are there handles on the sides? have you searched evilbay? sometimes these old things turn up in "vintage electronics" instead of "musical instruments". there may be a photofact sheet on it there, too.
    i'm a little envious. i'd love to have another old amp to tear into and repackage.

4. Could very well be a CTS speaker and original. CTS supplied several OEM's most notable Kustom.

5. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    That thing is cool!!!

I'm in a similar boat, I got an old 50w SS Regal combo that decided to blow and I want to get it fixed. Mine has the schematic inside the cab where the head is, its glued in there and the paper is yellowed and just crumbles, I'm afraid to ruin the schematic and not be able to fix it, because theres no info out there on it. I would try taking the head out and seeing if the schematic isnt in somewhere in there like mine is

I took the head out and just use it as a cab now, but I want to fix it someday.

6. Hey mc muench, your profile pic is that guy from "Ancient Aliens". I just saw an entire series of that stuff. Good stuff though.

7. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    humans_zpse9200e1c.

8. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    ^ HAHA perfect!!! I have nothing to add.

9. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    Just slap some plywood together and throw the chassis in there.

10. It's actually an all tube amp minus a solid state rectifier, I should have mentioned that I guess. It looked better before I took it to a tech who somehow managed to stain the face place and get that nasty spot on the grill cloth. I had these weirdo bolts that don't screw out so I'd have to destroy the bolts to take out the head and I kind of dont want to just start ripping stuff out

11. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ooooo...that sucks

12. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    Do you mean rivets?
    Are you just wanting to whack the whole thing down with a saw without removing the head from the cab?

13. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    Does the speaker connect to the head via a jack or two wires coming straight out of the chassis?

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Tech must be a dog lover. Either that or he holds his beer in his shaky hand. Either way...it's a sign of a good tech. If he's a bit anti-social and has a general crazy look in his eye....even better.

15. They are rivets ha ha, I feel a bit like an idiot :p No ideally I want to put it into a hardwood cabinet for a head and build a simple 1x12 enclosure for the speaker. It connects via two wires

The tech is actually a cat lover and is known to drink a bit! He's is also anti social and has an extremely crazy look in his eye, love that guy