1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Natural Neck Love

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by threshar, Jul 22, 2007.

1. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Is it just me, or does the feel of a natural neck with no coating on it feel sooooooo much better than the heavy poly'd necks?

I've got a couple warwicks with the natural neck and it feels so nice. I recently aquired a marcus miller jazz and I love the sound, bu didn't like the coating on the neck. Last night I sanded it off and now it is superb!

I know Geddy Lee gets unfinished necks, and Stu Hamm's personal urge ii's have no coating.. so why do they put it on all the production necks?

The natural wood jsut feels so much nicer to me. I suppose part of it is upkeep, that is the only downside as far as I can tell.

2. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    When I was a kid I used to sand the backs of my necks and used all kinds of tricks to keep them slick and to improve my speed. Now I barely touch the back of the neck when I play so it's just a complete non-factor. The back of the neck on my Ibanez is painted, and the back of the neck on my Squier is almost dry. I can't tell the difference when I play.