1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

natural oil for a fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by uethanian, Feb 24, 2008.

1. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i just finished sanding down a fingerboard that i defretted. it may seem really redundant but my plan is to refret. but thats not the issue here. should i oil before i cut the slots or after? or should i oil after the frets are in? pretty sure its a rosewood fingerboard, i was planning on using tru-oil on it.

2. what kind of wood is it? I always put a couple of coats of formby's lemon oil on all non-maple fingerboards. Maple fingerboards get coated with poly. oh, AFTER they're fretted and leveled.

3. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    rosewood.

so do u mean to say that oil goes on after fretting?

btw is there anything u need to do to prep the board before oiling? i sanded it down with very fine sandpaper, but there's still some dust on it. does the dust need to come off before oiling, or will it wipe off with the excess oil?

4. remove all dust before oiling. I blow it off with my air gun.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Can you clarify-- are you looking to put a finish on it, or just condition the wood moisture-wise?

My impression is that in the first case, you'd use the tru-oil, before fretting; and in the second case, lemon oil, after fretting. Sound right, wils?

6. well, the way I do it is to put on whatever it is I'm going to put on the fingerboard AFTER it's all done. It's the last step after all the finishing, fretwork and setup has been done. but that's just me!