Natural progression from Avatar 4x10? What higher-end cab for my SVT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CzarMike, May 26, 2004.

1. So I have this method of always moving up with gear, I ditch an amp for the next best thing, same with cabs.
    My current rig is pretty simple: '74 Ampeg SVT w/Avatar 4x10 cab. I will keep my amp forever, but have started thinking about getting a new cab (after reading the various 50hz posts & whatnot).

What higher-end 4x10 would mate well with an old SVT?
    I can't go 8x10 until I start playing arenas (band rule :) ) It would be too big for our hauler anyways. The music stores around here SUCK unless you like the mainstream crap, I get everything over the net. I play rock music in a 3-piece w/a geddy lee jazz btw.

Any cool suggestions?
  2. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Do a search on the bergantino nv610. A great match for your svt. Its smaller than most 610 cabs and competes with the 810.
  3. we only have mainstream stuff in my area too. crate and peavey. almost only combos, so i built my own 2x15 cause ill be damned if im gonna wait 3 months and pay triple the cost of whats in the US or wherever they got it shippied in from.
    building a 4x10 is not what i recomend though. I'd say an ampeg, but those are pretty damn heavy if you are ok with that.
  4. You might want to consider a Bag End 4x10. It weighs 96 lbs though (90 w/out coax) -- a little more than the Avatar if you don't mind.
  5. How about an Ampeg SVT 410HLF.
    Still a 410, but has a huge sound

I find Ampeg heads seem to sound best with Ampeg cabs.
    I dunno why this is. I noticed a huge difference when I switched from Avatar to Ampeg, and I loved the Avatar...but I really love the all Ampeg setup

I use an Ampeg SVT 15E with an Ampeg SVT 210HE on top
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly.

My "faux SVT" rig is SansAmp RBI into Bergie NV610.
  7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Can't go wrong with an Eden Cab.
  8. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I was in the same situation as you. I used to use my vintage SVT with 2 210 avatar cabs, but wanted something more that would make the head really shine. I picked up an ampeg 412he. It is a sealed cab which gives it more of a vintage sound when compared to the 410hlf, which is ported (more high fidelity). It's more portable than the 810, but not as easy as the 410he. It is also 4 ohms which matches the SVT perfectly!
  9. Cool ideas!

I'll start looking into these right away. Hmm, can someone explain the difference between a hifi bass sound and vintage. I would imagine that vintage would have more of the midrange growl to it right?
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's a fair statement. Some might say vintage cabs have less bass and treble response, but either way it works out to be the same thing. :)

In short: ports and tweeters were added to bass cabinets for higher fidelity. This was basically in response to "modern" active basses that offered better fidelity than traditional passive ones. But hi-fi isn't better, it's just different. Some bassists need active/hi-fi for Marcus Miller slapping or Alembic piano tones, but passive/vintage systems can still be versatile. IMO a good vintage-style cab is more focused especially in the mids.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i think that'd work. you'll find lots of 'em on ebay, too.