Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Natural Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Is there a way to make my bass sound like my bass when it is acoustic? I have a sansamp and a Aphex Punch Factory that have a DI. I would like to know if there is a way to make my bass sound very natural.

Could I just put my punch factory through the effects return on my head? Could it be used as a pre (would it be powerful enough?)? I love how a bass sounds when it is as natural as possible. I dont liek too much of these fancy diddles and dattles that change how everything sounds so your bass sounds like your pre/head/cab.

Ideas?

The most I would want is a "tubier" or "thicker" sound to an unamped bass.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    do you mean like an acoustic upright bass sound?

not sure exactly, but flatter response speakers might be what you could look into. I know EA Euphonic Audio is popular with upright players, probably some other brands too. I know EA has a more prominant midrange than classic electric bass cabs like ampeg, eden, aguilar. GK is fairly bright midrange, but EA is more smooth, less distortion, not that GK is bad... When I played EA it reminded me of playing through my fancy $1800 home stereo speakers and that definitely gives you a different sound than traditional bass cabs!!

3. make sure the 'blend' on the sansamp is fully off so there is no coloration there.

Maybe decent PA cabs and a clean power amp are the way to go for you....great big hi fi system.

also your pickups will play a huge part in the sound. perhaps check on that forum.

4. I think he means like an unamplified electric sound.

5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON

[​IMG]

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You need a piezo bridge pickup, or Fishman/BB type that attaches to the body, and you need a speaker with a very clean midrange and high end, a 3-way with a six or eight inch midrange and tweeter. Electronics alone won't do the trick; you have to start with a full range signal that regular magnetic pickups can't give, and end with the flat wideband response that only a 3-way speaker can deliver.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That's something I'd love to see - a good three way design with neo drivers.

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    One of the first things I'll test are the new 2512 in my O12 and the 2515 in my O15. The 2515 is amazing, a 300 watt fifteen that weighs less than 6 pounds. It has to be seen, and held, to believe. Compared to the EVM15B now residing in my O15 it will drop the speaker weight by about 20 lbs. Amazing.

9. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    WOW:eek:

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    http://www.lowdownsound.com/customcabinets.htm

I'm having a two way (2x12 / 2x6 - don't need no stinkin' tweeter) built as we speak from these guys. Sounds like these might be right up your alley.

Doubt it. Ampeg's "classic" cabinet tone is tons of mids. Eden is known for their low mid bump. EA is supposed to be flatter across the board than either of those.

The piezo pickup idea was a good one. Try that through your preamp, then a power amp, then a cabinet like a LDS 2x8 3 way.

Then again, I think the most "natural" tone would be passive electronics, a preamp with one knob, and a power amp through a detailed-sounding speaker. I can't figure out why when people want a "natural" sound they go for more electronics.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You might want to changed the crossover. I have a 1x12/1x6 and I was getting nothing from the 6". I changed the crossover to 800Hz on billfitzmaurice's recommendation and am much happier with it.
    Most of the EA cabs are flat, for example the CXL-112. The wizzy, however, has huge mids.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Hey Bill,

Have you checked out any BMS woofers yet? Or the specs anyway? Some pretty incredible stuff methinks. Though most of them are built for multiway compact or flown SR boxes their sister company Coda makes - or beasty subwoofers - there are a couple of 15" that should be incredible in direct radiator bass cabs (way higher power handling than you'd need in horn-loaded).

13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    No, I haven't even glanced at them, since they're not widely available. I have checked out their compression drivers and they are very nice.

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Bill,

Yeah, Assistance Audio in Salt Lake seems to be the only distributor and dealer in the US. At least they discount. A few BMS neo loads are available through Yorkville, used in their upper-line SR stuff.

I'm aching to build a larger 3-way supercab with two of their 15" and the 2" neo coax compression driver. Also want to build a extended range compact that'll do high output, hopefully using a 12" neo coax that's supposed to be coming out soon along with the 12N630 for lows.

15. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I'd reconsider a 2x15/2". You don't need two 15s for adequate bottom, and they'll beam like crazy unless you cross them real low, and a 2" won't sound good, too clean actually. One fifteen to a six or eight to a 1" will give a better result in a smaller box for less $. The same applies to a 12" coax, the woofer will beam well below the crossover to the compression driver unless it has a whizzer too.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Sorry Bill, I WANT a supercab! Actually I'm just going to build PA cabs that'll do full range high SPL. I know about beaming and all that. Thanks.

17. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Horns, my friend, horns. A 1x12 horn loaded will kill any 2x15 no matter how much power they handle.

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'm looking at getting a couple of 15's from BMS as well.
    I must disagree with Bill wrt the BMS 2" coax compression drivers. I have about 5 years experience with the 4590 series in a number of different flares and they are superb. I've even tried them in an old radial aluminium flare over my current 15 and even as a jerry rig setup it was impressive.