Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Natural Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eduardo, Feb 21, 2004.

1. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    Hello :)
    I would like to know if is a good idea refinishing ( or strip ) my black maple fingerboard EB MM SR 4 to a natural.
    I hate black bass and here in Brazil the only two colors you can find a bass - 80% of Fender and Music Man basses - are 3 tone sunburst and off course black.
    My fiancé is frightened with that idea.
    By the way, to buy another bass it is out of question because I am constructing a house for us :meh:
    Thank´s for your replies.

Eduardo

2. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    :rolleyes: I must stop to watch CHIC´s video " Live at the Budokan"

3. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Well, there are things to consider here..
    If your bass is black, then it is very likely to be Alder, but could possibly be Ash... Ash usually looks better in a natural finish because the grain is usually more asthetically pleasing (pretty).. However, not to say Alder cant have a nice grain, I have seen many extremely nice natural finish Alder basses. But, you still have to consider that it might not look very good in Natural. They usually pick really nice pieces of wood for natural finish basses, but basses that are getting painted black dont need to have pretty grain so you have to consider that your bass might not look very nice in a natural finish.

Someone here at TB did a refin on a StingRay and his was a 3 piece Ash body (if I remember correctly).. well the middle strip of Ash on his bass was actually green rather than the normal yellowish natural colour of the other 2 pieces of Ash. Regardless, it did still look pretty cool once he was done.

Personally, I would leave it. Have you considered selling it and buying a Natural SR? or trying to trade it for a natural?

4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    No way, dude.

Black is way better than messed-up-but-it-used-to-be-black.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    If you are talking about the body wood then it is very likely the body is poplar (sp) like the older MIM fenders. That is not going to look good if you strip it. I would say leave it alone.

6. I say leave it. My Jazz is a 4 piece alder body. I stripped it and stained/oiled it natural. It looks pretty cool, esspecially from a distance. The downside is that besides being a pain in the arse to do it has killed the resale value. This may not seem important now but things change with us and our gear wants/needs.

Ironicly I'm thinking about getting it painted black professionally of course. More money out of pocket!

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I would also like to say, only select cuts of woods are used for natural and translucent finishes. Only pleasing to the eye grains and cuts are used. The rest are painted solid colors so the cut of wood doesn't matter after that. Now when you sand that color off be prepared for a suprise! Two, three, four unmatched pieces glued together?

8. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Since this isnt a real cheap bass, I wouldn't recommend doing anything permanent to it that you cant fix if it goes wrong.

9. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    My 2 cents worth is to leave it. You may also have probs getting rid of the black from the grain.

10. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    Thank´s guys for your replies.

11. I did this to my MIA deluxe jazz, it used to be a beautiful creme white.
    I stripped it down, it was a 3 peice alder. One peice was darker than the other. Keep in mind wood does not always absorb oils uniformly, I have some weird shapes and patterns across mine.

FYI: I took the finish off with sand paper, took me 3 sessions of 6 hours to get decent results, tearing my fingers apart in the process. Then I used Circ...1867?? Tung Oil.

I miss the white.

12. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I would keep it as is. black sounds better anyways :smug:

(I'm kidding :D )

13. Unless you, or the person doing the refinishing are experts, I would leave it alone.

My 'Ray is all black; at first I thought it was boring, now I really like it.

Mike

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I saw a natural SR5 copy in a GC, and it looked killer, but like the others say, don't do it. A wood pickguard or something might be an interesting alternative though to cover up some of the blackness.

15. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    Thank´s again.

Eduardo :bassist: .

16. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    My fiance is very happy with your replies ;)

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Eduardo:

Black can be a little boring. Luckily for us, EB makes replacement guards that can spice things up a bit. Black pearl might look good on a black Stingray, but I always though the "Pimp Tuxedo" look of white pearloid was good, too.

[​IMG]

Now that one is actually black sparkle, but it's very subtle unless it's hit with direct light.

Just a suggestion. Like others have said, stripping may reveal wood you really don't want to see.

Good luck!

18. eduardo

eduardo

Mar 25, 2001
    BRAZIL
    To bovinehost: :smug:
    Awsome bass. Congrats