1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Navigator and PLX Amp -- Too Much Heat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atldeadhead, May 2, 2006.

1. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I've recently acquired an Eden Navigator that I'm pairing up with a QSC PLX 1202. I running the 1202 bridged into 4 ohms. As you can see in the picture below (see the arrow) they are racked right on top of each other. Prior to the Navigator I always used single space pre-amps so I'm not sure of the repurcussions, if any, of having this 2 space pre-amp mounted directly over the power amp.

I checked the manual for both units but neither one said much about racking. The QSC manual does show that fans suck air in through the back of the PLX models and blow it out the front. But I'm sure the QSC is putting off some heat from up top but is it enough heat that it could be dangerous to the nav?

My wallet still hurts from the cost of the Navigator so if I can get by without having to buy a bigger rack I'd like that.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

nav_qsc01.

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The QSC ventilates front to back so I can't imagine it's putting off a terrible amount of heat up top. There's an easy way to test though: Unrack the Navigator and do a gig or a long practice with it sitting on top of the rack instead of on top of the QSC. If it's too hot to touch (and I doubt it will be), investigate other options.

Really though, I think you'll be fine. I am a former QSC PLX 1602 owner and never noticed any heat issues with the preamps I had mounted above it.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I normally use a Nav and a PLX 3002, racked right on top of each other, and even in the summer heat the thing barely gets warm.

You'll be fine. Good for you though for being thoughtful about your gear. Take care of your gear, and it will take care of you.

4. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks for the input, y'all.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I ran a Navigator and PLX 3002 for several years. For some of this time, I had them in a rack with no open spaces, and I never had a problem. I think that you will be fine.

Tom.

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    What others have said. I ran the navigator and a plx 3402 for about a year with no problems.

7. In all honesty the only amplifiers i would never have anything racked directly above are all tube amplifiers, those things get hot, and would probably still not be that bad for anything ontop, but i cant imagine an SS amp getting to those temperatures (unless something was wrong)

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I run my Nav and qsc/plx 1602 just like that, no worries.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The PLX amps use internal heat sinks and forced-air convection for cooling. Some heat will inevitably conduct through the chassis to the exterior, but it's not enough to be concerned about.

10. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    I was wondering if running an RMX 850 bridged at 4ohms with about a half a rack space between amp and pre be enough ventilation

11. I've never known ANY of the QSC amps to run hot. I have done outdoor festivals with them, and as the day progressed there was a point when the sun was bearing directly on the faces of the amps. No problem. Not a glitch.
    I am curious though, why the universal use of QSC amps? No Yamaha, Mackie, EV, Crown or Carver? I mean QSC are good, but by no means are they the only game in town.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I don't know how the preamp is ventilated, but the RMX is ventilated through slots in the back and front panels; if those are clear and air can freely flow into the back and out the front, the amp is adequately ventilated.